Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you All want to Kill Me , I have read everything on this Site that I can about this subject. I've read all of MFE's Threads and links, and between Him and all you Guys , I have Learned alot...Maybe to much..LOL

Anyway, I'm setting up my 84 for Auto-X, this will be my 3 season running with the Local BMW Club of N.J. The 1st year I ran with my SN95 GT Vert, all stock with MM SFC's. A Total Lean and Brake Dive Machine....But it was Fun and I Learned a lot.

Last year, I ran with my semi Restored 84 GT. It was a work in progress all Season and I only got about about 25 Runs....not much I know. These runs were made on my 15x7 Turbines with "summer tires".

Major Auto-X Mods are 5300c Springs, Koni Reds, Welded SFC, MM C/C Plates, lower chassis Brace. Ford Racing HD UCA's.
Castor +2.8 , Camber -1.2, toe -.10 alinement done with 15x7 wheels and p225x60 tires.

Side Note: Rear Lower Control arms are 98 Take Off's , less than 15,000 miles since installed.

Now to my Problems.... I'm in the Middle of finishing my 5 Lug Conversion. I did the front 1st ( SVO Rotors) as it was easy and gave me inspiration to get going and finish my 5 Lug rear disc conversion. I mounted my 94 Tri/Star's with new Falken Azenis RT 615's and when for a Ride. The Car feels so unstable...in N.J. we have a lot of Truck Rutting on most of our secondary Roads. My stang is steering it's self all over the Place...and it didn't do that as Bad...untill I put on the 17's.

Bump Steer...or Traming ?...I ask only because the Rut's do have a Major Height Difference which 'could be a Bump-Steer Issue ? Ahhhhhhh all I know is my stang is almost undriveable on normal N.J. Roads.

BTW: She's got new Lower Front Control Arms ( 93 take off's ) and the Tie Rods/ Rack are in good shape.

what should I do...??? Get 5 Lug 15" RIMS and tire's to get to an event?

I know it's a Long post...but I hope that I gave enough Info for you Guru's out there , to shed some light.
Thanks,
scott

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Remove the toe-in and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Are the Tri-bars fully seated on the SVO rotors? Some Ford wheels do not completely fit over that huge bearing shout. I've read where guys put wheels on thinking they were flush but the snout was not permitting complete seating. Since the front is merely a rotor change (assuming you already had the 87+ brakes on), if it wasn't all over the road before the 5-lug swap, I have to believe the swap itself rather than alignment is the issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,
As of today, my Stang is still up on Jack Stands, as I'm finishing up my 5 Lug/rear Disc conversion...after reading about all the Nightmares, I can't wait to start Bleeding Process..LOL

qtrracer, I did the SVO Brake "Up Grade" back in the Day. Funny thing is, I read all about here on the Corral in the "Old Days"...Way before the SN95 Stuff.

Anyway,
I am running 32 psi in the front. The Tri-Stars fit perfectly, there is plenty of room for the Rotor Hat.

The problem really got Bad with the 17" tires. Before that ,with the 15" set up, I had a little of the BumpSteer/Tramming thing, But the 17's Magnified it a lot.

MFE:, I'm using the MM spec's on alinement....wouldn't removing the neg toe in make the Car more Darty ?

I'm thinking that with these Stiff walled Tires, that maybe I should Lower the Pressure to 28 PSI.....?

Thanks all,
Scott

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Im no expert when it come to suspension. But i notice in my car which has a bumpster kit and was set up at steeda, that just changing from street tires to slicks up front i get bumpsteer like BAD.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
MFE:, I'm using the MM spec's on alinement....wouldn't removing the neg toe in make the Car more Darty ?
You can try it and find out for all of 5 minutes of labor, or you can keep guessing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can try it and find out for all of 5 minutes of labor, or you can keep guessing.

Hi all,

MFE, I will try that as well, as my MM Bump/Steer kit has arrived.

Anyway:
I finally finished my rear Disc and 5 Lug conversion ,and got to take her out on some nice twisting back roads, and she felt Great. I am really looking foward to my 1st Auto-X this month.

I also lowered my tire Pressure's to 28 all around. It Did make a Big difference and I'd say it's a 50% improvement in Tramming on the same test roads I use.

Thanks everybody for all your input !

Scott

·
Registered
488 Posts
The Azenis 615 is known to want to follow everthing in the road surface, so that is a big part of the problem...

I agree that a little toe in should, in theory, give more directional stability, but like MFE said, it takes all of 5 minutes to mark, move and try. Your caster value is also quite low, particularly for only -1.2 camber with c/c plates. That isn't helping matters. When was the last time you had the car on an alignment rack?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Some tires are worse than others but tire pressure does play a big role. Also as suggested adjusting the toe may help as well and its is worth a try. I'm suprised you noticed an improvement after decreasing pressure. I though that was the opposite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts