Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the quarter again last night and I'm not getting better times, just faster trap speeds.

I believe the problem is that I am running plain 245 50 16s street tires. I am reluctant to get drag radials (or slicks) because I don't want to grenade my T-5. Is it possible that these are spinning more in second than I realize? Could they be spinning in third without me knowing it?

Here is one time slip:

reaction: .117
60 foot: 2.169
eighth: 9.03
8th trap: 82.66
quarter: 13.7
quarter trap: 104.3

·
Registered
224 Posts
what gears are you running,i would sugest some radials or if you really want to know what your car can run a full slick will get you there....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nittos are about as lenient as you can get. They are basically a glorified street tire so you could pick up a set of those and most likely be fine with your rear and trans.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gears

I put a 3.55:1 gear set in it when I did the V8 conversion. It is my understanding that gears do not make a car faster or slower, just change the speed where you're making power.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I put a 3.55:1 gear set in it when I did the V8 conversion. It is my understanding that gears do not make a car faster or slower, just change the speed where you're making power.
You are correct. A numerically higher gear will get you to the sweet spot in your powerband faster.
They can give the impression of more power. I went from a stock 2:73 to a 4:10 and the car felt much quicker out of the hole. Knocked a solid 3 10ths off my ET.
Though they don't add power, they do shave ET.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts