Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced a friend a few times on the highway last night on the way to a BBQ, after the BBQ on teh way home I noticed my ABS light was on. I tried resetting the computer (STILL ON) I checked my brake fluid today. It was a little low, I topped it off and the ABS light is STILL on, Could there be a serious problem? (It drives fine)

·
Registered
80 Posts
just take it to a shop and let them look at it. THe same thing happened to me, mine turned out to be my ABS module. Gonna cost me $750 part & labor to fix, so I just pulled the ABS bulb out until I can afford it.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Just about any shop should be able to read the ABS error codes. If they can't, then RUN! As per *federal law*, the ABS codes on Your Car are read from the OBDII connector.

A few things first:
* Are all FOUR tires the same diameter?

* Check the ABS sensors on each wheel. They are fragile and can be broken or bent from road debris.

* If you know how to use a VOM/DVM, the you can check each sensor. The sensors should be between 500 and 2K ohms.

View of the sensors:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/brakes3/absRearSensors.jpg

More info at:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/brakes/abs98Diag.html

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey Yellow...make sure you didn't bump anything when you and jkoogler were putting your springs on the other day...make sure all your connections are good...

Hey, if they are indeed able to be read from an ODBII scanner, I have one of those now :) Let me know if you want to meet up and I'll scan it for you...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stangPlus2Birds said:
Are all FOUR tires the same diameter?
On the front I have 245/45/17's, on the back I have 274/40/17.

I just lowered my car almost 2". Could that have anything to do with it?

THANKS,
ROB

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
missouri_guy1973 said:
Hey Yellow...make sure you didn't bump anything when you and jkoogler were putting your springs on the other day...make sure all your connections are good...

Hey, if they are indeed able to be read from an ODBII scanner, I have one of those now :) Let me know if you want to meet up and I'll scan it for you...
I'll have to get ahold of Jeramie and see if he can help me check it out.

If the connections aren't the problem, I'll shoot you a message on STLMustangs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
81blown4.6 said:
When ever I spin my tires in 3rd gear my ABS light will come on. It usually goes back off the next time I drive my car.
It's been on for a little over 24 hours now. I've checked the fluid, & checked the fuses. I still need to check the connections.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Lowering the car, or changing ALL of the tires diameters has NO effect on the ABS. Your tires seem fine. Make sure that they all have the correct air pressure.

** When you start the car, does the ABS come on and STAY ON, or does it go out and then come on after you drive a little?

If the light comes on and stays on BEFORE you move the car, chances are that a sensor (or wire) is bad. Also, check the wire for the ABS sensors on the rear. Sometimes, with wider tires, the wires rub against the tires.

Only some of the OBDII scanners can read ABS codes. It's the same connector, but different wires/terminals and codes.

You can often go to a Goodyear/ Firestone / etc garage and have them do an ABS code readout.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stangPlus2Birds said:
** When you start the car, does the ABS come on and STAY ON, or does it go out and then come on after you drive a little?

If the light comes on and stays on BEFORE you move the car, chances are that a sensor (or wire) is bad. Also, check the wire for the ABS sensors on the rear. Sometimes, with wider tires, the wires rub against the tires.
The light STAYS ON when I start the car.:( I'll check th esensors in the morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts