Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty then.

Check it out, lost a spark plug tonite while going threw some tiwsties,:eek: Blew out of the head,:evil: threads are done. Okay I did sreach and didnt find to much info. Okay who used a heli-coil?1. How long did it hold? 2.. How hard is it to install? Now i have new heads and intake but no prep has been done. So I need to buy myself some time. I actually heard of somebody metioning j-b weld. How would this work? Will JB handle the heat? Any recomedations on doing this? Let's get some ideas going, so the next guy can get "hooked up".
thanxs for the help.

side note- do I need a new alt. braket for my 01 intake and heads:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hopefully this will be somewhat helpful,

I had to do the helicoil thing (not on a mustang) several years ago. It held up fine while I had the car (sold it about a year after heli coil). I my case (and I assume the same for yours) the head had to be removed to keep from getting metal shavings in the cylinder when taping the plug hole for the heli-coil.

The JB weld idea is interesting, but with the treads missing in the head there isn't much for the JB weld to adhere to, I don't think it will be able to take the compression of your cylinder. I dont think heat would be your biggest problem. I've used it on an engine block in the past to fix an oil leak (don't ask) with success.

Good Luck

Greg

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yelloh 03 GT said:
Hopefully this will be somewhat helpful,

I had to do the helicoil thing (not on a mustang) several years ago. It held up fine while I had the car (sold it about a year after heli coil). I my case (and I assume the same for yours) the head had to be removed to keep from getting metal shavings in the cylinder when taping the plug hole for the heli-coil.

The JB weld idea is interesting, but with the treads missing in the head there isn't much for the JB weld to adhere to, I don't think it will be able to take the compression of your cylinder. I dont think heat would be your biggest problem. I've used it on an engine block in the past to fix an oil leak (don't ask) with success.

Good Luck

Greg
Hey thanks for the info, but is the head has to come off I will just do the head swap thing.:cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I blew a plug outta my head, somebody recommended a company called timesert. Their inserts look more like sleeves and they have an insert designed specially for our cars. It's a little on the steep side, I think the whole kit was $115, but I was really amazed at how easy it is to use and how well it has held up...which is going on a couple months now, with lots of hard driving in it. Good luck on it!

BTW... its http://www.timesert.com

·
Registered
232 Posts
you don't have to remove the head with the timesert kit, you just pack the flutes of the tools with grease and it catches the shavings

·
Registered
232 Posts
unfortunately I don't have any extra inserts, but you can buy them for like $8 from this company in Torrance called Thread Kits Company 800-372-4477. The expensive part is the tool kit you use to install the insert, not the insert itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts