Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations on heat wrap to use in doing my hot-side pipes (DEI, Thermotec, etc.) and feedback regarding sizes and amount to buy for typical Foxbody single-turbo application (ie how much did it take to do your project).

(Plan on wrapping down-pipe, cross-over, and headers for reference).

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Dont waste your money on heat wrap..IMHO. I wrapped my down pipe thinking it would lower under hood temps....Yeah right.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Dont waste your money on heat wrap..IMHO. I wrapped my down pipe thinking it would lower under hood temps....Yeah right.
Do you think it helped reduce your air intake temps and kept your spark plug wires from cooking? It did on my On3 equipped car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought two 25ft rolls of DEI when I did my first turbo Mach, I felt like it helped a lot. That was enough on an on 3 kit to wrap the entire hotside and coldside under the hood.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I used Rustoleum High Temp ceramic paint and painted all my hot side. I used a portable diesel heater to heat the parts up to 400+ degrees and then painted them and then repeated this process. I did two coats on each of the parts. I've gotten good feedback on this process holding up so I guess only time will tell. I'm also using a turbo blanket and spark plug heat boots on the plug wires.

·
Registered
961 Posts
one 2" 50' roll of HEI covered my crossover and downpipe, crap goes fast. Summit sells a kit of 8 spark plug boots, that and a turbo blanket are gona help more than the wrap. Ive read too many bad things about wrapped headers

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
You saw my car...

Downpipe is wrapped...don't remember how long 25 maybe. Rps lava colored.

Didn't bother with headers or cross over.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies guys....appreciate the feedback.

Mike,
I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
i had me turbo headers and full hot side ceramic coated and then, few months later, wrapped and the difference was HUGE to say the least. significantly lower engine bay temps and quicker spool although the process itself, at least when being done right, can be a pita and i would suggest you soak the wrap in water as well as spray it with the silicone coating which is what i didn't do and see that some of the wrap is getting beat although will say that the titanium wrap from dei looks awesome

Titanium Exhaust Wrap with LR Technology 010128 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products

·
Registered
195 Posts
I went with heat wrap and it dropped my engine bay temps a lot. My down pipe is 2 inches from my electric water pump and it would have died a long time ago if not for the wrap!!! **************

·
Registered
154 Posts
Must be fun pedalling that Cobra in 2nd gear...wow

If you are truely daily driving this thing, heat shields are better than wrapping. Weather and constant heat/cooling cycles are tough on the pipes. When wrapped, the pipes see high temps they were never designed for that leads fatique then failure.
You don't see wrapped pipes coming out of the factory....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts