Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be more practical for a street/open lapping car. A 2.3T which will be lighter but have more heat soak, or a 331 n/a which will weigh in heavier than the 2.3T but not have the heat soak of the turbo. Will be going with a good cooling system either way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Heat soak where? Intercooler or under hood heat? If you run a vented hood, the heat from the turbo shouldn't be an issue. A 2.3L engine is less metal to cool, so the radiator should be up to the task. If you run a front mount, your IAT's should be stable. A 2.3L is a shorter motor, isn't it? Meaning less weight in front of the centerline of the axles. Might be splitting hairs though as the FMIC is farther forward than the additional weight of the larger V8. The N/A engine is simpler and cleaner and I suspect most on this forum would sway you that way, what do you have right now?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
right now just an n/a 2.3 mustang, so need to build a motor either way. And I have a 302 engine so open to either methods (331 will be carbed). Biggest concern is too much heat in the engine, and engine bay. I know the turbo will add a lot of heat especially with the boost level it would be run at. But then it will weigh less. Trying to see what people have used and find to be the best compromise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I vote for n/a302. Less things to go wrong. Also it sounds better. As far as weight goes, i would run aluminum intake and heads and take the slight extra weight from the iron block (with extra 4 cylinders) so i could power out of the corner better. You may be able to corner better with the weight reduction but it'll make the car harder to drive fast and IMO not as fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts