Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been rebuilding/restoring my mustang (91) for almost 2 years now. I switch from vortec setup to a B and G. I've got 2 questions

Can anyone that cut the downpipe and put v bands on it for easier access to the spark plugs post up a picture?

also will wrapping the downpipe ONLY cause any problems? Ive seen guys do this and leave the headers exposed.. right now I'm still at a toss up on this but would love to get downpipe where it be more easy to access.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can anyone that cut the downpipe and put v bands on it for easier access to the spark plugs post up a picture?
welding a vband is no different than welding a exhaust as long as who ever doing it know how to weld.

also will wrapping the downpipe ONLY cause any problems?
no problems here

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have the quicktime turbo system and my DP is 2 pieces. Makes it so easy to get to the plugs.

I also wrapped only the DP and it has worked out great!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welding a vband is no different than welding a exhaust as long as who ever doing it know how to weld.

no problems here
yea i phrase the question wrong.. I mean "if anyone has cut the dp in two and put a vband to post pictures of it" so i can get a idea. i can weld it no problem.

thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
174 Posts
my qt kit is like that, and it takes me less than 10 mins to pull the pass side plugs , including time to remove the d/p, its a good idea anyways since the bg dp is 3.5 and from what i hear hard enough to get in there in the first place so taking it out in one piece to get at the plugs wont be fun.id definitely cut the dp and v band it

·
Registered
174 Posts
if your worried about rust with wrap maybe it get coated that mighty prolong the life if you are concerned about it.i had mine coated, and its wrapped, so far its just had dyno time, but inside the dp the coating is still perfect.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Be sure when you weld the vband flanges, the vband must be on and cranked tight and in the exact position it will be in when in the car. Both flanges need to expand/contract together so that whatever warping does occur (if any) will happen to both together and this minimizes leaks. I also have put a vband by the number four primary for easy plug removal. The hardest part is picking the downpipe up to get everything lines back up...maybe I should put a hanger on the front of the dp...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts