Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buddy of mine told me when i go turbo on my car to run multi layer gaskets and ARP head studs!? but a member here told me that i shouldnt run headstuds cause u want the gaskets to go b4 the heads which makes since but wanted a lil more insite on it b4 i send $250 on it

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Head studs and 9333pt1 gaskets.

If you run bolts you won't have consistent clamping force necessary to hold moderate levels of boost on your 302 stock block. Even with head studs your gaskets will most likely be the weak link in the event you run lean and get detonation.

There is simply NO good reason to run head bolts.

If your installing gaskets on a block that has not been decked you might want to skip the MLS gaskets. They are best run on fresh decked blocks and fresh surfaced heads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i thought head studs would be a good idea cause of the boost! my buddy has head studs on his cummins and he still blows head gaskets! hes also (we hope) runnin in the 10s so thats y i listen to his word alot on turbo stuff but even he didnt think i could push a 70mm turbo lol hes a turbo diesel guy not turbo gas!! so would multi layer gaskets or just regular gaskets? just wantin it to hold up good!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I ran 8s with no bolts at all! just zip-ties! but that doesnt change the fact that studs are better than bolts

·
4,309 Posts
I ran 8s with no bolts at all! just zip-ties! but that doesnt change the fact that studs are better than bolts
Studs are better than bolts but also sometimes the best is not always needed. There is a savings in cost between good bolts and studs and cost quite often is the big motivator. I almost always ran studs but sometimes disliked dealing with trying to get a heavy cast iron head off/on them.

Sent from my iPad Nano

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
studs are the way to go. might save you from changing gaskets later
I have arp bolts on mine now and will probably keep them when i go turbo. im hardheaded
but if I were taking the heads off, I would change to studs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well just learned that my car had new gaskets n bolt in it a few days b4 i bought it (feb 2010) so i hope they will hold to a turbo for awhile n when they go my sponcer just told me they will have a set of arp head studs n watever else i may need!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
He didn't ask if they were better he asked if he needed to spend 250 dollars when he went turbo. Keep your dumb comments to yourself and keep this board helpful. Their are are plenty of other places to be retarded.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sorry op, dont listen to me, listen to cesna advice, DONT run head studs unless you run in the 8s or faster

$250? judging by his avy he runs a pushrod motor, so studs cost like $130, about $50 more than bolts.

ok, all kidding aside, Id reccommend switching to studs whenever you happen to pull the heads off, even if its just a stock rebuild thats only gonna run 14s. IMO!!!!!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I run arp bolts and was just fine with 12psi on iron heads, I also run e85i. Its all in the tune and the shiz gas that most of u run. Head gaskets pop usually from detonation or lifting the head. Add better bolts or studs and better fuel. Grab a FMS f-cam too that helps with compression. Don't run MLS gaskets they suck....they don't blow or seal right. If ur tune is right u shouldn't need them anyways. U want the gaskets to act like a fuse.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
All that being said I am running studs In my new motor. I would recommend them as a insurance if you were gonna Change headgaskets anyways. Good luck and the tune has a LOT to do with blown gaskets most of the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts