Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it looks like my car is going to be a DD for a little longer than I expected I'm thinking of stepping down to a milder combo with better street manners. Of course, I've already spent a butt load on MM coilovers, but that ok. I can either sell those OR put them on the shelf for later. After talking to MM, I'm thinking of going with the street performance springs and putting the Eibach sway bar (at least the front one) back on the car. I had the super race springs in there before and while they are anywhere as rough as the name implies, it did get a little old driving 50 miles in a day through some really rough roads. I know I'll be giving up some of the crispness of the suspension and I'll have to put up with more roll than I would like, but I figure my butt will thank me Monday-Friday.

I'm thinking that I will probably run the MM Street Performance Springs, with the 35mm Eibach up front and one of the Addco bars out back, the ones that attach to the axle and the chassis. With the previous combo of Super Race Springs and Eibachs, I had no problems with rolling onto the sidewalls of the tires with only -2 camber.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It was my understanding that a coil over kit on a Mustang was good for performance and ride quality. I say just re-spring the coilovers mess with the swaybars later on(MM rear adj. swaybar even! ;) )

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, the problems is that with the coilovers, or at least the rear, its hard to run a softer spring and have it work "right" it can work, but there will be problems like a longer spring rubbing the collar, or coil binding, etc. So I would be limited on how soft I can go up front by how soft I can go out back. The MM street springs are about the same cost as the coilover springs and I can probably sell those easier down the road, most people who are in the market for coilover springs wouldn't want what I would have to offer then because it would be too soft for the autox/track guys and too stiff for the drag guys. I just spoke with MM earlier as well, in fact I even talked to the same guy. I told him what my plan was and he thought that the street performance and stiff sways would provide a pleasant ride on the street with still having some performance at autox and track. Of course I still have the Bullitt springs so I could put those on for free.

I forgot to mention earlier that I am running the Steeda 5 Link II out back as well so I do have some stuff going for the car already.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Keep the front coilovers and pick the rates that suit your DD fancy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll be the one taking those springs off your hands, I too have a steeda 5 link II. what success have you had with no rear sway? With V8's we are fighting some knarley high center of gravity, not to mention a severe amount of weight. It sounds to me that your at the limit of what the suspension is capable of, and might need to reevaluate the way you move through the course.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've actually like the no rear sway with the 5 link II, but I'm running pretty high rear sprng rates compared to what Steeda suggests. Even with no rear sway and a 28mm bar up front the push wasn't as bad as you would think, and the rear had lots of grip, even at 5000 rpms in first gear. Coming out of a turn like that is typically a risky proposition but with the current setup, it felt like no problem. And yes, I do need to evaluate how I approach the course. I haven't gotten much faster and there are two common denominators, lack of driver improvement and 245 tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've dreamed running the wheel tire setup from NASA's American Stock Car Challenge. only problem is the 15'' wheels. what would be your next move with tires?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts