Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, when do headers size become a restriction ?
Im building a 331 afr205 sv intake d1sc and right now I have a set of bbk 1"3/4 longtube for manual trans but swapping to auto so for sure they wont fit.
I was looking for a used set localy and there is one set 1"3/4 mac shorty and the other one is a set of bassani 1"5/8 stepped to 1"3/4 longtube. I've heard that 1"5/8 is too small and that shorty were not optimal ! What would you chose? It's a street strip car but mostly strip that drive on the street :wink2:
I've been looking for a New set of 1"3/4 but with our super cdn dollar value a 600$ usd set become a 1000$ cdn that's why i'm looking for a local deal !
Thanks

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
How much power are trying to make?

I bet a custom Canadian made header would be like a thousand toonies

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont have any specific power goal, right now I just want to have the parts to get it running. Of course I would like the most out of it.
As for custom one, i've heard it would cost more than ordering a brand new set from the usa

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I run a very similar combo as you, 347, 205's, D1sc, etc. At present I run the Bassani stepped hdrs, 1 5/8 to 1 3/4, great hdr, only pitfall is my ground clearance is less than 3". Like you I do more strip than street. At one point I put equal length 1 5/8 shorts on and what surprised me the most was that I lost 10mph in the 1/8th mile, I put the long tubes back on and my top end speed came back. The Bassani header comes with individual header tubes so install is fairly simple though the passenger side can be tricky with stock k member. I also run an aod and these hdrs fit(5093rc).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input ! What a huge difference ! Dont know if with the 1"3/4 shorty the difference would be the same ! Right now I have the stock k-member and with a th350 going in.
Just curious, what number does it run ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice number ! Yes I do have an aftermarket block, we'll see what the d1sc can give !
How much boost are you making ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just did a dart 331 with afr 165 heads and 1 3/4 longtube headers and vortech s trim with 13lbs of boost and a th400 tranny and it made 570's hp and 550's tq at the tire on a mustang dyno. I would definitely go 1 3/4 and nothing smaller. My 1 3/4 fit fine with no issues but I'm also running tubular front k member kit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What headers do have ? It will probably be 1"3/4 but nothing good local beside a set of mac 1"3/4 shorty....

·
Registered
272 Posts
What headers do have ? It will probably be 1"3/4 but nothing good local beside a set of mac 1"3/4 shorty....
Hooker longtubes PN-HKR6227

Originally ordered a set of doug's ceramic coated 1 3/4 but they were back ordered for over 5 weeks. And I found the hookers for sale locally, brand new in the box for $250 I couldn't pass the deal up. Plenty of clearance with the TH400.

IMAG0989.jpg

20161222_170852.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's exactly the headers i was looking at brand new but it get a little too expensive delivered to my door ! That's the kind of deal I would be wishing for but nothing around locally

1 - 15 of 15 Posts