Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to get my turbo kit powdercoated. there not jet coating but will this look good powder coated chrome for the pipes and headers or will it generate more heat. my headers dont have the best of welds and dont look the strongest as b-g or hellion and it looks at one time someone fixed it. Im wonderin if this will make them stronger. Its only $100 where im at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
not sure about power coating w/ the heat but ceramic coating is the way to go to reduce heat and prolong the life of your system. jon at racewright coatings in odessa tx is by far one of the best. He is very picky about his work and since he is a small time shop his cost is very competitive w/ other shops . he coats a lot of systems for hp and other name brands. ask him to send a picture of some headers you will be suprised at how good they look
im me for his address and #

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Powder coating will just burn off at turbo temps.

You have to use special coatings like Jet-Coat or Chromex Coating
that can with stand the 1,000+ degree temps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Powdercoating

I wasn't to sure and I think b&g has a set of blue powder coated headers for the fox. I don't know what Temps they peel but maybe wraping the headers would help. I figured the price would be good and the point of not being able to scratch them would be better. I hope someone else has experience in this area.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Powder coat really won't last. Like these guys said go with ceramic,or paint them with high temp paint.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will ceramic make the headers stronger and last longer and how much do they usualy cost. I think I wanna do the headers and other pipes but not the intercooler piping I still wanna white powdercoated them because of 90gt white exterior paint. Then on in the middle of the pipes I wanna paint the ford sybol on them. I think it would the good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
there is now 1000 deg powder available. Will it be enough, probably not. I've done expansion chambers and na. headers and it holds up great. You can buy the black ceramic paint/coating and apply it with a airbrush gun then air dry. Its good for 2000 deg. Just make sure you give them a good(read spotless), sandblasting, then don't touch(wear rubber gloves) and coat. I did my buick headers about 2 years ago, still perfect(black). HTH
Ross

1 - 8 of 8 Posts