Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting car together with my daughter & we disagree on the exhaust - told her she could have anything spare parts in the shop so it's pretty much a mis matched combo to start with - 306 cid 9.75 compression heads flow 276/201 @ .500 lift cam is 230/236 @ .050 .577/.572 lift 110 LSA - ported RPM Air Gap & 650 or 750 carb - the disagreement is wheter to use 1 5/8 long tubes or 1 3/4 shorties - she does not like my opinion so told her i would post here for advice - thanks in advance for your comments !

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would go long tubes. The 1-5/8 primaries should be fine for a 306, and will outperform the 1-3/4 shorties at all points of the curve except the very top.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
That 306 in naturally aspirated form will never out run the 1 5/8" headers.
-Mav

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'd do the 1.625" LT's also, the shorties aren't good for much on the 306 below high rpm's.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
This build is obviously not about HP. So throw the shorty's on it and run it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...actually, it is about power - making the most power with what you have on hand - saleen414, your condesending remark does nothing for the arguement but rather shows your ignorance - when you view a post, you have 2 choices : offer constructive input, or simply move on - your best choice would have been the latter...

·
Registered
468 Posts
...actually, it is about power - making the most power with what you have on hand - saleen414, your condesending remark does nothing for the arguement but rather shows your ignorance - when you view a post, you have 2 choices : offer constructive input, or simply move on - your best choice would have been the latter...
Unless you two have history I don’t think this was warranted.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I agree with the shorties and I don't see that Saleen414 warranted that remark, either.

ks

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I’d choose the long tubes. Shortys really don’t do much, longtubes will.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I agree about the ground clearance and fast install, for choosing the shorties. But I would not choose the shorties, I want the best possible, if it's feasible to get it done.

Finding long tube headers which fit well is a huge issue. There are large variations of body/head/suspension parts, for so many same chassis cars.

Here's my similar perspective;
I need a 1 5/8" LT set for my Fox chassis, 347 in a Mark VII. Dragging low collectors is not acceptable, leaking collectors is not acceptable, for me. I considered 1 3/4" headers, but the chances are better to fit the 1 5/8" well, and I don't need the high rpm peak power as much as the low and mid range.

Finding LT headers that fit great and don't need anything, no adjustments or coatings, is very hard. I plan to modify them, cut the collectors off for sure and weld on v-band flanges. So coating is part of the deal, I need bare or used headers that don't cost the typical $500+ new price. Give me a use set for $250 and I'll fix them and get them coated, then I'll be happy.

Reactions: Blwn331

·
Registered
215 Posts
I say longtubes!

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
It was not a condescending remark. It was stating the obvious. You read words and added your own intent. You could have asked for clarification of my opinion. If I remember right, it was opinions you were looking for. So...yeah.

Reactions: Blwn331

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My thoughts are for the longtubes. I changed from shorties to longtubes years back and made a noticeable difference in power and tone.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Shorties and run. Never liked long tubes. I run cast manifolds, but theres usually a turbo involved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts