Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you paying for your installs? Got a guy that will do it fot $1040 seeing what you guys are paying. Also how much does an install kit for the heads cost?

·
Registered
88 Posts
DO it yourself and save the money. It really isn't bad at all. If you have to pay someone, I think <$700 is reasonable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
winters98gt said:
you should be able to get it done for around 550-800 bucks.
Not in Austin. I recently had the swap done, and all the normal shops (Motion, Prewitt, Colvin) wanted $1300+. We have some bad-ass modular tuners here, and they are pricey. There may be a few here that can do it for that price (I doubt it) but I wouldn't let them near my car. You get what you pay for!

winters- Jose and I have been talking, email me at [email protected] for some info. What color is your GT? It wouldn't happen to be the same green 'vert that was at Little River this past Friday?

·
Registered
560 Posts
call around I think that is too high for the swap! Unless they are including tuning afterwards then that is a different story!

·
Registered
112 Posts
96BluOvl said:
call around I think that is too high for the swap! Unless they are including tuning afterwards then that is a different story!
I'm not trying to be a tool, but think of it this way:

Most shops in this area charge $50-$60/hour for labor. The swap books at least 20 hours in the manual right? Most shops charge by what a job books, not by how much time it actually takes.

$50/hour X 20 hours = $1000
$60/hour X 20 hours = $1200
This is labor only, any problems or additional parts cost extra!

Some shops may charge more an hour, or quote more hours to do it. I did call around, I did do research. The price I paid was $1040 "labor" (this did include NEW timing chain tensioners, fluids, etc) and the job was absolutely first class. All my re-used parts were cleaned, everything looked brand new.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Nope, my ride is blue, some bad pics

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?threadid=148613

I go to austin a lot to visit my friends at UT a lot. 1000+ is way too high. The headswap can be done in much less time then 20 hours regardless of what the manuel says. Houston Performance qouted me 1000, Strictly Performance 600, Street Performance 700, and CXI racing(Corvette and Viper shop) 550. I went with CXI and they ended up charging me around 700 bc I did not have all the parts and they had to keep my car for over a week untill I got them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
winters98gt said:
Nope, my ride is blue, some bad pics

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?threadid=148613

I go to austin a lot to visit my friends at UT a lot. 1000+ is way too high. The headswap can be done in much less time then 20 hours regardless of what the manuel says. Houston Performance qouted me 1000, Strictly Performance 600, Street Performance 700, and CXI racing(Corvette and Viper shop) 550. I went with CXI and they ended up charging me around 700 bc I did not have all the parts and they had to keep my car for over a week untill I got them.
Like I said, in Austin nobody will do it for that cheap. I guess he can go to Houston. Regardless of how much time it can be done in, if a shop charges jobs by the manual (hours), that's usually what you have to pay. You really aren't reading what I'm saying here. The cheapest I got quoted was $850 but I had to purchase the parts thru the shop, which was $1500, whereas I paid under $1200 from Stinchcomb.

BTW, nice times, is that on street tires? If so do you just slip the clutch and baby it? Or do you go for it? Just curious!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Mike"Slowstang" said:
are you paying for your installs? Got a guy that will do it fot $1040 seeing what you guys are paying. Also how much does an install kit for the heads cost?

if you want to come to san antonio one weekend, you and i could do it. i will be doing mine this summer also. it must be after may 24th though. i help you with yours, you help with mine. even steven! it will be much easier with 2 sets of hands!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Im reading what you are saying but also saying that you got ripped off. There are a lot of people here in Houston that know what they are doing and can do it for a lot less. It would be cheaper to pay 50 bucks in gas and make the 2 hour drive down here.

·
Registered
560 Posts
so i guess we all get the point now....Don't do your **** in Austin. Actually I didn't think there were too many shops that could do that anyway. not trying to bash but just trying to get this guy a better deal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I suppose I got ripped off then, too bad I didn't have time to come to Houston :rolleyes: . It just goes to show that there aren't any reasonable shops here in town. I don't feel screwed though, I got all the little things replaced, new tensioners, chains etc. I still feel like it was a good deal. Plus it took 2 days:)

It's all good, we all got the same result, faster cars
:D

·
Registered
560 Posts
NO BASHING!!! Nothing but 4.6L lovers here! Hey you had to do what you had to do! At least you don't have to worry about it anymore!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys thanks for all the posts, I may just go to houston to get it done. Can you guys recomend any good shops and maybe their phone #'s? I would get it done in austin but I dont have that much money together yet and would like to get it done in the next few weeks. Hey crainius my name is Mike just thought I'd introduce myself, I hang out w/ Jose "GTMAN2k1" all the time. Iheard your cars pretty quick now, what do you plan on doing next to the car?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here in NY from a very experienced Mustang performance shop, the labor will cost me $1190 plus tax!

I won't go cheap on the install. I want experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can i watch!

I live in san antonio as well. I would love to watch the install and possibly help if Mike"Slowstang" comes down here. Please let me know. I may not be much help but i can always run to get burgers and beer ;)

97Stanbanger

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Can i watch!

97StangBanger said:
I live in san antonio as well. I would love to watch the install and possibly help if Mike"Slowstang" comes down here. Please let me know. I may not be much help but i can always run to get burgers and beer ;)

97Stanbanger
That's what women are for! You'll have to get in there and turn some wrenches.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Re: Can i watch!

97StangBanger said:

97Stanbanger
if he decides to come down, you are welcome to come over...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Mike"Slowstang" said:
I might want to take you up on that offer! When did you plan on starting your install?
i have a 2-car garage...plenty of room. plan to start late may or early june...depending on when SD gets my stuff finished. he said by first week of june for sure...so around then. if you want to come down on a friday and stay the weekend, i am sure we can knock it out (yours) in that time period...then i will call you to have you come help me with mine when it's ready...cool? last week of may is good for me to help you with yours. doesnt have to be a weekend for me. bring your car on 5/26, and we can finish it that week. hope you have everything needed!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts