Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 95 GT with an MPT70 finished and took it to the dyno and guess what, I blew a head gasket. I was running 8lbs when it blew, it did put down 356hp right at 4k before it went, we didnt get a torque reading. Anyway I want to use head studs this time, I am running stock heads and for some reason am having a hard time finding studs. I want to go to 1/2" on the heads can anyone point me in the right direction maybe some part #'s, any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
your stock block will not except 1/2 studs or bolts, but a dart and boss will. your stock heads will have to be drilled to accept 1/2 also.

you blew you hg's because your tune was bad not because you weren't running studs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told that there are studs for swapping 351 heads onto a 302 and thats what I needed. I will be talking to the guy that has been helping me with my tune today or tomorrow to see if we cant figure something out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
All that is a 1/2" to 7/16" insert-step washers for cylinder heads with 1/2" bolt holes, the heads studs or bolts still going to be 7/16". also most all Aluminum heads now are 1/2" holes and will need the washers. ARP make them.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I used 15 dollar head gaskets and ARP Bolts.
The head gaskets are call Felpro 9333-PT1
I bought them at Autozone and the gaskets have an amazing rep. (google it)
Many fast cars are running them (sub 9 seconds)
I got the 40 dollar head bolts kit here.
Stock Longblock.

No problem so far!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was told that there are studs for swapping 351 heads onto a 302 and thats what I needed. I will be talking to the guy that has been helping me with my tune today or tomorrow to see if we cant figure something out.
drilling out your stock studs for 1/2 will likely end up pulling the threads out of your block, you can weld your heads to your block and still lift your heads if you det, detonation kills head gaskets, not power.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the ARP head bolts now. I guess I really need to focus on the tune rather than studs. I think I am going to use the Fel Pro MLS gaskets.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have the ARP head bolts now. I guess I really need to focus on the tune rather than studs. I think I am going to use the Fel Pro MLS gaskets.
There is no need to run MLS gaskets. Run the fel pro 9333 pt1.
It is better to blow the head gasket and not the motor.
With a good tune the felpro gasket will hold 18 psi + on a good tune I have done it and am sure there are others that have too.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
what did you torque the bolts down too?? What did you set the timing at??

MLS gaskets only work on a well preped surface. Some people like them some hate them. I run the 9333PT-1 or the 8458PT-2 and love them.

You should NOT have to run studs, yes they are nice and help but should not be needed.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I went with the ARP studs (nice) and Fel 9333's. The studs will probably rust in half before i get the damn thing running!

·
Registered
44 Posts
All that is a 1/2" to 7/16" insert-step washers for cylinder heads with 1/2" bolt holes, the heads studs or bolts still going to be 7/16". also most all Aluminum heads now are 1/2" holes and will need the washers. ARP make them.
X2 i just put the arps in last night, i too blew the head gasket on the dyno

·
Registered
422 Posts
i was with nottafox with his car on the dyno datalogging the car. the tune is far from perfect drivability wise, but the AFRs were in the 10s under boost via a WB and the timing was around 20 or so. so the tune wasnt to blame IMO. AFAIK the car had a HG sealing issue before the car was ever ran hard, at least that is what i was told.

and FWIW Bo i run 7/16 ARP head studs and the felpro-9333pt1 head gaskets.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my heads back lastnight and the guy who did them for me said they were bowed in the middle and the entire surface was rippled. They are perfect now and went ahead with new valve springs,guides, and seals. The gasket actually lifted and from the looks of both of them there was no detonation. Just bad heads, the tune was fine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
good to hear man, lol you should have had dusty do a little work on the heads lol.

BTW the new valve springs sound like a good idea. if the stock ones were worn out they could have produced some valve float, with new ones you should be rockin.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dusty said that my springs had between 75 to 80lbs of seat pressure and that probably wasnt gonna cut it so he threw on some springs with 125lbs of seat pressure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts