Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read lots of posts about head swaps on 96-98GTs to bring them up to 99 standards in horsepower. I have a few questions. What is the main differences between the 96 and 99 heads. Are the heads worth replacing, or can they just be rebuilt. I'm planning on doing this mod next winter (while the car is in storage) but if I get get the stock heads ported cheaper than buying new ones, that might be the route to go this summer. Anyone have a site that explains this stuff? The heads are about $1300CDN each here, Im sure I can get the stock ones ported for less than that. In your opinions what is the cheapest route to go with this?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There are alot of advantages. Upped compression, better exhaust ports, better intake ports, just all around better heads. I would suggest driving across the border and buying them here if they are $1300 each in Canada. That would buy you almost everything to do the swap here.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The newer heads are a much better design. P&P can add a lot of HP to the new heads but it just isn't worth removing, reworking and reinstalling the old heads.
With head work, there's no cheap route. The best value I've found is DTA Racing. Send a PM to "TheGame" and get a price quote.

·
Registered
733 Posts
98N2OGT said:
There are alot of advantages. Upped compression, better exhaust ports, better intake ports, just all around better heads. I would suggest driving across the border and buying them here if they are $1300 each in Canada. That would buy you almost everything to do the swap here.
Dude! He said $1300 CDN, that's like $100 American.;) Lots of benefits like discussed above, but the cheapest route might be to find a wrecked '99+ GT in a junkyard and get the whole engine (if it's still OK). I've seen where guys have gotten the entire engine for not much more than the new heads themselves and the engine swap isn't much more than the headswap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts