Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Head lifting? - sludge under radiator cap

What are some signs the heads are lifting?

Engine is running good at 14psi with gt40 irons, arp studs an 9333 gaskets. Not smoking or mixing coolant with the oil. Not running hot at all. However, I noticed some brown sludge gathering on the bottom of the radiator cap the last time I drove it. I checked with a block tested and fluid and it was inconclusive, no change in the fluid.

I'm used to blowing the head gasket with coolant everywhere. Not sure what to make of this.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The sludge could be rust that's developing from the iron block or may have been stuck in small crevices in the heater core, etc.

My fluid was crystal clear the first two times I pulled the intake off but on the third time 5lbs of sludge spewed out and shortly after the heater core started leaking.

ks

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to drain the cooling system and flush it out with something to clean the sludge/oil out of the system. It may be from an old blown head gasket or a bunch of old rust and tap water. When i swapped radiators, I just stuck a hose into the block to flush it, never used any chemicals. Same for when I had a minor head gasket failure.

It still seems to be OK, not pressurizing the system as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
23,237 Posts
its probably just the coat hangers that finally rusted out, from the foundry.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Lol 9333 crew checking in.. on my stock motor anywhere from 8-10lbs I was nuking the gaskets with any sort of decent timing in it. put new engine in with 9333's on e85 and haven't had a problem since. I'm thinking these cars really need low boost or VERY conservative timing on 93 octane gas.

·
Registered
23,237 Posts
Lol 9333 crew checking in.. on my stock motor anywhere from 8-10lbs I was nuking the gaskets with any sort of decent timing in it. put new engine in with 9333's on e85 and haven't had a problem since. I'm thinking these cars really need low boost or VERY conservative timing on 93 octane gas.
You don't need very conservative timing or low boost

You just need the right amount

You run MBT timing and that is it.......

If you add more timing than is necessary, you don't make more power

So just run the right amount, for your specific combo

·
Registered
23,237 Posts
With head studs , I would not imagine head lifting
Is there a difference between this "head lifting"

and blown headgasket??????

can the heads lift and not blow a head gasket?

I have blown head gaskets, with studs......

·
Registered
410 Posts
in my case, you can lift the head enough to cause the gasket to leak but not totally blow it completely. it still damages the gasket to a certain extent thats why i said he is probably on borrowed time. i pulled mine apart today because it was pushing water under boost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts