Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a early 302 block with blind holes for the head bolts. With a 11.0-1 compression build would you use ARP head bolts or studs? I was thinking that at one time someone said that studs with the added squeeze can distort the cylinders on a stock block and mess with ring seal, but I may be wrong. Let me know what you think. Maybe studs are overkill too. At least I don't have to worry about them leaking like with a newer block.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Bolts....because you won't have to pull the motor to pull the heads.

Leaking is caused by poor quality machine work and crappy gaskets. We keep our deck and head surfaced under 10 RA.

In my opinion studs are overkill in this situation....but they sure look cool.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bolts....because you won't have to pull the motor to pull the heads.

Leaking is caused by poor quality machine work and crappy gaskets. We keep our deck and head surfaced under 10 RA.

In my opinion studs are overkill in this situation....but they sure look cool.
My son has a 6.0 diesel with studs and we had to unscrew the studs out of the head and lift the heads off with the studs in the heads. We had to do the same thing when we put them back on. Kind of tricky, but it worked.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:D :D...I'm far too lazy for that.
That's funny! I feel the same way. Anyone who opens the hood on a Super Duty with a 6.0 powerstroke and says "I want to work on that" is nuts! LOL I look at it and say "Let's just shut the hood and call it a day"

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every time someone opens a hood, I hear the same sound; ........ bbeeeeeeeeerrrr.
Thats funny. You told me that the Dart 8.2 SHP blocks are not going to be available for a while, right?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Studs are always better from a strength stand point, but not a requirement. Most of the reason why studs are stronger is you don't have the inherent stress riser of a bolt head. If you use a good quality anti-seize, the clamping force will be virtually the same between bolts/studs. So unless you need every last bit of strength, bolts are fine.

Ford really did ____ the bed on the Super Duty's in that regard. Not just with the 6.0, but in general for engine position. Even a 5.4 you have the engine tucked under the cowl and you need to almost set-up scaffolding w/ a mattress to work inside the engine bay comfortably.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Studs are always better from a strength stand point, but not a requirement. Most of the reason why studs are stronger is you don't have the inherent stress riser of a bolt head. If you use a good quality anti-seize, the clamping force will be virtually the same between bolts/studs. So unless you need every last bit of strength, bolts are fine.

Ford really did ____ the bed on the Super Duty's in that regard. Not just with the 6.0, but in general for engine position. Even a 5.4 you have the engine tucked under the cowl and you need to almost set-up scaffolding w/ a mattress to work inside the engine bay comfortably.
If I'm on a mattress. I ain't going to be working on a car.

I'd brag and lie here, but we all know I'd take a nap.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I'm on a mattress. I ain't going to be working on a car.

I'd brag and lie here, but we all know I'd take a nap.
We got a guy that uses his old couch cushions when he has to be on the floor working on equipment. Comfortable enough to sleep, but not secure enough since the equipment is too small.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
331 Posts
You can remove the nuts and then the studs with an Allen wrench on the small block Ford if they are the same ARP head studs I used. The dowel pins keep the head in the proper position.

You can certainly get away with the bolts in a non-power adder application though. It’s your call.

·
Registered
360 Posts
studs are best if you can use them... but not necessary.. i have a new set of studs just sitting here because i reused the bolts from another build on my car. the studs didnt clear the jessel rocker setup and the bolts did... so i just went with the bolts... so far so good.. holds about 2500 hp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts