Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have broke off several of my 1/2 studs and decided to go 5/8 if I am going to replace the broken ones. So I get the kit in, no instructions or anything. Anyways, do you drill the hole in the flange big enough to slide the stud in, then run the nut on the back to hold it in, or do you drill the hole smaller and thread it? If you are supposed to thread it, what is the thread pitch? Also, if it is supposed to be threaded, where did you find a tap big enough, and did you have to buy a set it came in, or get it idividually? I am thinking it would be stronger if it was threaded in and may go that way reguardless, but I would like to hear from somebody who has put them in.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Call moser and send the axles to them.

The flange must be drilled and tapped. Not something you want to mess up

Tim

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apprechiate the reply Tim, but this is something I have my mind set to do myself.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Unless you have a mill or fixture for a drill press that will allow you to hold the axle doing it yourself is not going to be good.

The holes must be true to the flange if they are not you will have studs that are not straight and problems getting the wheel on.

A maching shop can do it also.

Tim

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I would have the rearend shop do it, I cannot see myself getting into that.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I wont be doing it myself. I will take it to a machine shop and have them do it for me. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts