Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Power Adder section and I didn't get any replies so I was hopping this would work since I need the information pretty quick:

My neighbor has a friend that he works with and he put a Caterpiller (sp?) on his Talon and it gave him an extra 100-150 horsepower. He said that he could get me one for my car, install it for $1,000. I've never heard of a Caterpiller blower. Are they any good and would you recommend one. How much PSI can they put out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probably turbo, since some Talons are turbo from the factory. I don't know about him installing it on your car though, does he know your car is not turbo from the factory? I've seen pictures of the caterpillar factory, and they've got turbos bigger than I am (also saw a pair of cam shafts for a V20, hehehe), so I'd imagine he could find one that was a rough replacement to the stock mitsu turbos on the talon, but to bolt one up to a stang? He'd have to fab a lot of parts, and he wouldn't be doing it for $1000.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You also have to think a turbo off a diesel engine won't work long on a normal engine. Their turbos are only built for 2500-3500rpm max. A normal engine will overrev a turbo off a diesel alot. I would just look for a turbo off a saab or something if you are wanting to do a junkyard turbo build up.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His talon has a Caterpillar turbocharger but my neighbor said that he could find a supercharger for my car, maybe. He's supposedly getting another one for a 4-banger and I asked if he could get one for my car since it'll only be $1,000.
Oh, well. It looks like it will not work out, but thanks anyway. If I find out anymore info, I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow...I never thought that we would be talking about Caterpillar engines on the Corral. I work at CAT and have ran several engines and can tell you that the turbo speed limit is around 100krpm depending on size. I don't know if I would call it a CAT turbo because we don't make them. We make wicked earth moving equipment...The best in the world!!! :cool:

I have always questioned if one of these turbos would work on a stang or other car. My first guess is that they would not be mapped very well for a stang. I guess I need to look....maybe a 3126 turbo or something??

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a ton of Holset turbo's off Cummins B&C series engines if you want to try to make something work :D Also have some Garrets laying around too. Not really sure how they would work in the type of application you are talking about.

·
Registered
278 Posts
92StangMan said:
This guy acted like it was no big deal to do this. Have you known anyone to do this to any car?
No Big Deal? :eek: I haven't heard of anyone taking a turbo off a diesel and putting it on their car, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. You would have to do a lot of customizing to start with. I don't think it is as easy as mounting the turbo and turning some headers around backwards :D

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jeremyfo said:

No Big Deal? :eek: I haven't heard of anyone taking a turbo off a diesel and putting it on their car, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. You would have to do a lot of customizing to start with. I don't think it is as easy as mounting the turbo and turning some headers around backwards :D

Good Luck!
Thanks for all of the replies. I'll just stick with what I originally had planned for my car instead of some CAT blower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts