Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Pretty ridiculous stuff.
What'll be ridiculouss is the price. As much as they like their stereo stuff you can imagine what this technology will cost. Maybe some Saudi oil barrons will be able to buy it.:salute:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder what class it would be in SCCA? Probably "STOCK". ;)

Han, your SIG cracks me up. :rofl:

·
Registered
763 Posts
it would be cool if they actually had hard numbers on how much it improves stuff like lap times, stopping distance, 1/4 mile and 0-60. stuff like that. cause weight transefer is good, to an extent.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Bose has been shopping that system for several years now and it's not getting picked up very much, I don't know why, don't know all that much about it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Bose has been shopping that system for several years now and it's not getting picked up very much, I don't know why, don't know all that much about it.
It's heavy, and expensive. It's different enough that mechanics would need special training to service it. And it's largely unneeded. The general populace is pretty satisfied with their luxo-barge's handling. It's a solution no one is asking for, right now.

Which is a shame, really. I'd like to see more out-of-the-box thinking in regards to suspensions. Springs and dampers have been around for a LONG time...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

So its basically an Electromagnetic coil-over?
Something like that. The complexity is in the control systems. I've never dug too deeply into the Bosch system, so I can't comment on the details, but I gather that it's only semi-related to the F1 systems developed a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Anybody here old enough to remember or have any dealings with the hydrolastic suspension on the old Minis, Austin Americas, and Austin 1800s? It had rubber bellows instead of springs and they were filled with fluid under pressure. They were connected front to rear so when the front or rear hit a bump or rise in the road it would displace the fluid to the other end to keep the car level. They didn't ride to bad but were prone to devloping leaks and having to be fixed or pumped up all the time.

My first autox car was a 63 Morris 997 Cooper S. It was the last year they had a plain rubber bellows type spring made by Dunlop. In 64 they went to the hydrolastic. I inherited the only pump for those systems in my town and I chunked it. I didn't want to work on them and every Austin America that hit the junkyard was another source of cheap parts for my Mini.

Here is a link that explains it with pics. http://austin1800.homestead.com/Page16.html

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I knew about the rubber pucks for springs (my brother raced mini's in SCCA in early 70's) but I never knew they were connected front to rear. Quite an industry was made out of upgrading the old rubber suspensions to standard springs.

A few years back Tenneco (makers of Monroe and Rancho suspensions) paid huge bucks for a technology out of Australia that would hydraulically de-couple the swaybars laterally and re-couple them diagonally, automatically and as conditions dictated. It made for huge articulation capabilities and flatter cornering, but they never made anything of the investment, that I'm aware of. And I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the system but it was shown at SEMA about 10 years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts