Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with these? My Nitto 01s may run out this year and I am looking to move up but I am also trying to stay away from the Hoosier price. Tried a search without much success.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Wow, nobody? I'd be curious to know how they work on a heavy RWD car as well.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have tried the old C70 compound but I bought them when they were being discontinued and the particular tires I had were over 3 years old (not fresh and probably not as sticky). They didn't stick like a V710 or especially like a Hoosier A6. They were more along the line of the NT01s. I couldn't get good autocross times out of them. They were ok open track though. But that was on old compounds. The new C71 compound might be better, and they may be nothing like what I experienced. Also keep in mind that they have other compounds with different traction levels (C91,C71,C51). The higher the number the better the traction and the C91 compound being the one closest to an A6 (at least from the few data points I have seen).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The C71s are the ones I was looking at. Thee is a $70 difference per tire and if they stick better than a V710 and lasts as long then I'm sold. I know Hoosiers are the way to go for a National event but local is all I am doing in the near future.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I run them in the medium-hard compound (C50/51) on my 1st gen CTS-V for open track work. Thus far I've only done one weekend on them, but I was very happy with the performance. Unfortunately, I don't have the direct comparison data I would've liked, as I went from NT01s to the Z214s, but also went from 245/40-18 to 275/35-18. With that said, I dropped ~5sec/lap on VIR-Full (just hand timing off my wristwatch).

·
Registered
488 Posts
We got one set of the C70 compound given to us to test by another competitor in 2007 when running the RX8 (autocross only). The grip was less than the V710's we did back to back. Seat of the pants/guesstimate, not close to the Hoosiers we ran later in the year. But, they wore much (much) faster than the Kumhos, which was disappointing. This on a 2900lb car with good camber. I wasn't impressed.

But, I do understand that they've done a fair amount of work on the tire, since then. Still, you don't see them on many competitive cars. Not sure if that is all performance related or partly lemming effect.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen old posts/reviews from '06-07 about these falling being the Kumhos. I've also read some more recent posts stating otherwise. I'm pretty close to the top in PAX with the 01s so at ~$30 more per tire, it's doesn't sound like a bad upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts