Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was noticing a weird rubbing noise comming from the rear of the car. I checked it tonight and it appears that the driver side outer boot of the half shaft was split into two, causing the grease to shoot all over behind there. Apparently somehow the brake line caused it because when I looked, the brake line was in between the two halfs of the boot. My question is do I need to buy a whole new half shaft or is it possible to only buy the boot?:(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Halfshafts

You should be able to get it replaced at any good CV axle shop. They can replace just the rubber boot on them. You don't need to replace the halfshafts.

:)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The Ford dealership that did the knuckle recall bent the brake lines at the time of the replacement, my bet. You can take it back to them and tell them to fix it. But they won't fix the boot, they will just get another halfshaft since the boot isn't serviced separately by Ford. If you pay for it at a CV shop, it will probably cost $200. You can buy a new replacement stock halfshaft yourself from GKNDrivetech for less than that, and then have a spare if you take the old one to the CV shop and have the boot replaced.

See site below for some details on pulling the halfshaft.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, I have checked the GKN website, and maybe I just wasnt looking in the right place, but I didnt see anything listed on the web site for the 99 cobras on there. Is it something that I just need to call them and ask about or was I just looking in the wrong place? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
355 Posts
JBejarano said:
I was noticing a weird rubbing noise comming from the rear of the car. I checked it tonight and it appears that the driver side outer boot of the half shaft was split into two, causing the grease to shoot all over behind there. Apparently somehow the brake line caused it because when I looked, the brake line was in between the two halfs of the boot. My question is do I need to buy a whole new half shaft or is it possible to only buy the boot?:(
You can buy replacement CV joint boots from O'Reilly Auto Parts. They usually come bundled with high temp grease for around $5. Autozone and Pep Boys have them as well, but usually only carry a few universal packaged units out in the normal customer retail area.

I doubt they will be able to simply look up your car and find the right p/n for you, though. Instead, you'll probably have to measure your inner/outer diameters on your shaft and go find the right one yourself.

Some of the O'Reilly stores have boxes of boots and clamps in inventory in the back and they may let you go back there to find your own replacement. My local store does. If you have difficulty finding replacement boot clamps that fit, NAPA has a universal clamp kit that works very well. Simply unroll and cut to the length you need. In either case, boot clamp pliers are recommended.

If you are careful, you may be able to reuse your existing clamps, but you'll still need the appropriate clamp plier to make it snug after re-installing it. Needle nose pliers work fine in flattening out the crimp, to facilitate easier re-installation.

570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' limited only by the IRS and road race suspension
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!

Gauges - zoom in || Exterior - larger view|| -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Front suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
Roll cage
Trunk mods
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It comes down to who is going to fix the boot. If you can pull the halfshaft yourself, and do all the work yourself, then do as Coop says, which will be the cheapes way out in my opinion.

If the dealer messed it up, they should pay for it if you are willing to let them fool with it.

There won't be any parts listed on GKN's website. You will have to call them. If you can't get them, try www.Raxles.com as well.

Regardless of how you fix it, make sure you get the brake line positioned correctly. And check the other side as well.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was planning on doing the work myself, normally I would see if the dealer would do it, but the past few I have dealt with have made sooooo upset, that I would rather do EVERYTHING myself. The other side looks good, nothing rubbing or in the way of anything so I'm not too worried about it, though I will probably be a little paranoid for a while and check it every so often. I plan on checking the local O'Reilly and/or Autozone today since there are some relatively close to my house. Thanks for the help guys! Lord knows I'll probably be back with some more questions! Thanks again! :) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts