Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running bils and h&r race springs on my 83 gt and love the way it feels..I am debating moving to the super race spring on the SVO since the car will see more track time..not just autox. How will the lighter 4cyl effect the spring rates? I figure the turbo 4 to be around 100#s lighter then a iron headed 302.

Am I understanding spring rates correctly?

I am running SN95 front suspension parts with koni yellows.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't know the numbers offhand, but with that lighter weight I'd think you could just run the H&R Race up front and the Super Race outback for a good setup?

MM Is really good about these types of questions, may want to shoot them an e-mail, or maybe Jack will post up here!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I don't know the numbers offhand, but with that lighter weight...
Actually, the 2.3L turbo and the 5.0HO motors weigh the same.

Several Internet source show the 2.3L Lima turbo motor weighing in at 450#. The 5.0L HO motor is shown to weigh between 450 and 460#. So if they're not the same, they're damned close.

(For one of the more complete lists out there, see http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt)

Run the same springs as if there were the v8 in there and stop worrying.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that is crazy..what makes the 4cyl as heavy as the V8? On the hoist the v8 seems heavier to me then the 4cyl. Hell..I pick up the lima a few inches to get a 2X4 under it..don't think I could do that with the v8..but never tried.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Several Internet source show the 2.3L Lima turbo motor weighing in at 450#. The 5.0L HO motor is shown to weigh between 450 and 460#. So if they're not the same, they're damned close.

(For one of the more complete lists out there, see http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt)

I was just going off the information from the original post :leghump:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

I don't know if I'm buying that.....just doesn't make sense. I have fooled around with a buddies old 2.3T and it sure felt lighter than the typical 302. In driving the car, it felt lighter too...

Perhaps that weight listed is with all accessories installed??..and the 302 is w/o accessories??...

Check out that detroit deisel listed.....2448 pounds! WOW!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wouldn't doubt the 2.3T being just as heavy as the 5.0, the cylinder head alone is a heavy piece, and takes a good bit of effort to move. I've picked up bare 5.0 blocks without much more effort than that damn cylinder head. Then tack on a cast iron exhaust manifold, turbo, and other odds and ends, I could see them being similar weights.

What will make the car feel lighter is the fact that the engine sits significantly farther back in the engine bay compared to a 5.0.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Either way, I don't think the super race springs would hurt your performance even if the engine was 100# lighter.

A 1000# spring is still 1000#

Super race are 950-1050 I think.

Race are 700-800 aren't they?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the head off of the 2.3T. It weighs 85#. That includes full valvetrain and cam, lower intake, and fuel rail. What does a cast 302 head weigh with valves and rockers?

·
Registered
684 Posts

i did not know we made the 2.3 turbo motor at the lima plant .....i live here been on all kinds of tours huh is the 2.3 n/a the same as the turbo 2.3 motor wise

·
Registered
195 Posts
Up until 89 or so, they used the same block, crank and rods as the turbo 2.3L minus the provision for an oil return, the boss was there, but it was not drilled and tapped. The dual plug years got a small journal crank, a thinner block, and a bunch of other revisions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts