Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any turbo kit pls chime in. I said on3 cuz thats what im looking at. Can you give some info on things you had to deal long term from having a turbo kit. Anything at all!! Blown head gaskets, blown motor, rusting, cracking, and wg bov or turbo failures, had to upgrade things? More fuel, rear end, trans. was it all good? Just wondering where I'm gonna be in a year or 2 if I go turbo.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
I think if you search you will be able to find quite a few guys that have had the kits for years. Some of the consequences you mention really just are tuning and not being built strong enough. Things like blown head gaskets will happen, normally will be due to bad tuning/detonation/too much boost.

If your building a 5.0 car, I always will recommend mls gaskets and arp's, its just easier to do it now and get it out of the way. If you look on our site, the green 2v car has been driven the most out of everything. Its been a daily for almost 3 years, 15k miles on the turbo and its perfect. If you maintain your setup, it will be there for the long haul. But if you are going to push it, be prepared for the weak link, t5, stock head gaskets, etc. Most of all, get in touch with bob from stl mustangs, he has tuned so many of our 5.0 cars. He will have a lot of good info for you and ensure your setup will be setup properly

If you have any other specific questions about things, let me know

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chad I know your green one has been doin it for a while now. Anyone else. I hope you guys know this isn't to get on any company or anything. Just wonder what people have gone thru. I do understand the tune is very important. Id like to know specific examples, such as did the head gaskets, safe tune and studs but lifted a head, or blew a gasket anyways, or 3rd gear went, axles whatever. After all the bs it seems on3 has been fine with longevity of the actual parts in the kit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had mine on the car for 2 weeks...Unfortunately i didn't dial the boost down and i kinda sorta put a hole or 2 in the block...Currently building new engine for it...Pics and build thread to come!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
All those things u mentioned as far as engine wise can happen. It just depends on ur motor. If ur planning on running a turbo on a stock 5.0 you better keep the boost low or a number of those will prob happen regarless of tuning. And yes with the turbo as well as any forced induction u will need to upgrade stuff like the fuel system. The will pretty much need to be done at the time of the install. Down the road ur looking to upgrade ur clutch and other various things like the rear and trans depending on how much and how hard u drive the car.

·
2,829 Posts
I had mine on the car for 2 weeks...Unfortunately i didn't dial the boost down and i kinda sorta put a hole or 2 in the block...Currently building new engine for it...Pics and build thread to come!
This was a 3v correct? How much boost/power were you making? Anything really over 450 wheel starts getting questionable on stock bottom ends as you found out. I cant point any fingers though, I did the same thing :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
ya im intrested in this as well. im buying the 5.0 kit sometime next week if the money comes in on time. but would like to know how their holding up so far. like the base turbocharger not the MP70 and the included wastegate an BOV.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to see that. And maybe here the story what happened when it went down. Were you tuned, how much boost?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All those things u mentioned as far as engine wise can happen. It just depends on ur motor. If ur planning on running a turbo on a stock 5.0 you better keep the boost low or a number of those will prob happen regarless of tuning. And yes with the turbo as well as any forced induction u will need to upgrade stuff like the fuel system. The will pretty much need to be done at the time of the install. Down the road ur looking to upgrade ur clutch and other various things like the rear and trans depending on how much and how hard u drive the car.
Thanks! I think I'm gonna try to take it easy on the trans til I decide what I wanna go with. I love the 5 speed, but I know a c4 would be better. For fuel I'm thinking basic 255 pump, 42 or 60 injectors and whatever maf. Do I need to boost ref fpr if I'm taking it to a tuner?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks! I think I'm gonna try to take it easy on the trans til I decide what I wanna go with. I love the 5 speed, but I know a c4 would be better. For fuel I'm thinking basic 255 pump, 42 or 60 injectors and whatever maf. Do I need to boost ref fpr if I'm taking it to a tuner?
the boost refrenced FPR cant hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Chad quick question, ive been looking at your kit for quite some time now, and im very interested, i was just wondering how much PSI i should run when i do buy the kit, since i had my motor rebuilt and has about 8,000 on it. (Stock internals, no upgrades)
Thx

·
2,829 Posts
On any mod motor kit, if you are running more than 6ish # on a stock bottom end its asking for trouble. At that level, its making into the 400's and thats all those cars motors are good for. Its just not worth it pushing it that hard, thats where my car has sat for 2-3 year and it runs like a top. I have ran 8-9#'s at the track every now and then but always turn it down right after passes.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have been running 2v kit for over 2 years, from 8 psi to now 20 psi. There is no other kit for the price you get to enjoy boost!!! on3 FTW!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been running 2v kit for over 2 years, from 8 psi to now 20 psi. There is no other kit for the price you get to enjoy boost!!! on3 FTW!!!
Yep +1000000 for the price its great.
I just got mine running again with the kit. Dropped it 3/8 of an inch put those gaskets between the pipes and a little copper gasket with good vbands and there are no leaks. thanks for the help buddy.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yep +1000000 for the price its great.
I just got mine running again with the kit. Dropped it 3/8 of an inch put those gaskets between the pipes and a little copper gasket with good vbands and there are no leaks. thanks for the help buddy.
Glad I could be help, congrats!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts