Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about cutting 1 coil off the 4 cylinder rear springs. My question asside from looking better does it serve any purpose? Also I have 28 10.5 slicks and was wondering will they rub when lowered?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I cut 3/4" from my 4 cyl. springs and it lowered the car about half an inch, and I did not gain anything in my 60.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Mine have been cut to get the rear suspension where I wanted it. I use stock v8 stuff in the rear. The 4 cyl is just a little too soft IMO

Tim

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Mine are cut 1 coil from an 03 GT spring. Its hard to say as to whether or not it will rub, you will just have to try it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
about 2/3 of a coil from a stock 5.0 rear spring here. Just to get the stance right.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
about 2/3 of a coil from a stock 5.0 rear spring here. Just to get the stance right.

You have any pics and have you had any rubbing problems after the drop?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You have any pics and have you had any rubbing problems after the drop?
No rubbing problems, with a rolled fenders and 275/60/15 ET Street radials on 15x8 wheels with 5.5"backspacing. Here you go, the best one I have of the stance:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
^^^ with a 275/50 tire do you think you would have to roll the fender? i want to put a stock v8 spring in i just dont know if i should cut it at all or not...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Depends. If you have it close to stock ride hight, its probably going to be fine. Lower it much, without the fender being rolled, and it (the fender) will cut the tire. You could probably get away with lowering it if its not driven much.

Its pretty easy to roll or cut the fender though.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Picture whoring it:

275/50/15s on a 15x8 5.5bs, here and if I corner too quick they rub, other than that they are F I N E!!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Fenders rolled?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Picture whoring it:

275/50/15s on a 15x8 5.5bs, here and if I corner too quick they rub, other than that they are F I N E!!!
Nice. Couple questions.........

How much would you assume it lowered the car with the cut springs in the rear? How low in the front?

I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my '85 Hatch. It currently has Eibach Drag Springs front/Rear. I also ordered the Eibach Sportline springs to get the look since I heard its not a good idea to cut the rear Eibach Drag springs. I figured I would try them for cruising (knowing they won't work well at the track or on the street for launching). My #### just sits too high and its driving me nuts looking at it like that........lol. Its got 15 x 9.25 w/6" backspacing Alumastars and M/T 28 11.5 ET Streets or M/T 28 x 9 ET Drags. The lips are not cut, but I imagine I'll have to cut them. Only had to beat the inside a little bit for them not to rub the tire on the backside.

Did you use top/bottom isolators front/rear on your springs?

Did you have to re-set your pinion angle when you lowered the rear?

What about offset rack bushings and frontend alignment when you lowered the front?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Off subject, but I LOVE four eye stangs. Well, not all of them, just 85 and 86's. Great looking car.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
flyin4d your car looks awesome and where did you get and how much to have bead locks done?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thank you. BTW, nice Coupe you have also. Is that all-motor or on the spray?
On a 150 hit. Its apart right now, I was having some issues with it, I was getting alot of blow by, and it was way under cammed. Pulled it apart and the engine builder had gapped the rings way wrong (.09!), and one cylinder was scored up. So its getting a new cam, a slight bore (will be a 363 when it goes back together), and will hopefully be a 10.50 car n/a, and in the 9's on n2o.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a question, How do you go about cutting the springs exactly?? I heard a wiz wheel and use some water right afterwards so u don't ruin the spring?

If anyone has a right up that would be great because I want to cut a coil on my rear springs.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts