Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i have a 98 gt and i wanted to know what gains are when the 99 heads are put on....not the whole headswap kit just the heads....also what will theses heads run roughly in price as far as cost and then for install....and finaaly do you think its worth it....SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
560 Posts
well first of all you have to eventually buy the kit because you cant just swap the heads. people are seeing 40 to 50 hp increase. i bought my heads for $750 new with cams. plus tax and shipping. then you will need a 99-up intake and all the gaskets neccessary. new head bolts, water tube, front cover bolts,etc. I plan to have mine ported and the stock cams reground so I can return the spankin ten fold to those pescky 99- uppers who put me to shame before. all i have to say is those people better watc out cause there is alot of headswappers lurking around out there. OH yeah i'm also thinking of droppin in a AJE K-member, and new clutch since i'm gonna yank the motor out anyway. It' will be a big change when shes done. then i can really be proud!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
96BluOvl said:
well first of all you have to eventually buy the kit because you cant just swap the heads. people are seeing 40 to 50 hp increase. i bought my heads for $750 new with cams. plus tax and shipping. then you will need a 99-up intake and all the gaskets neccessary. new head bolts, water tube, front cover bolts,etc. I plan to have mine ported and the stock cams reground so I can return the spankin ten fold to those pescky 99- uppers who put me to shame before. all i have to say is those people better watc out cause there is alot of headswappers lurking around out there. OH yeah i'm also thinking of droppin in a AJE K-member, and new clutch since i'm gonna yank the motor out anyway. It' will be a big change when shes done. then i can really be proud!!!

why cant i just use 99 heads......i dont understand why not.....please explain....i donmt see why the whole intake is necessary

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
civic slayer said:

why cant i just use 99 heads......i dont understand why not.....please explain....i donmt see why the whole intake is necessary
You need the intake because the it will fit on the 99 heads and the 98 will not (someone correct me if I'm wrong please). Also with the new intake the water pump hose routes differently (via the drivers side of the head vice going straight thru the center). You will also need the head changing kit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn i really dont have the cash for the damn swap, and have a few mods that wont fit the 99 intake.....well guys are there any other suggestions for heads that will be able to work with my 98 intake.....the intake isnt really the prob its the damn heads......any specific heads...i could use all the help i can get......ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP SO FAR

·
Registered
233 Posts
Look into a port and polish job from THE GAME for your 98 GT heads.. I believe that people have gotten them to flow as least as well as 99 heads...and it won't raise your compression if you want to use a power adder later. Also, if you have the extra money (Port and Polish is 400 bucks from him)...you can get a set of 99 cams from a Ford service dept for cheap (They are more agressive than the 98 cams = more hp). This way you can still use your stock intake and pick up maybe 30 hp.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JgASOHC said:
Look into a port and polish job from THE GAME for your 98 GT heads.. I believe that people have gotten them to flow as least as well as 99 heads...and it won't raise your compression if you want to use a power adder later. Also, if you have the extra money (Port and Polish is 400 bucks from him)...you can get a set of 99 cams from a Ford service dept for cheap (They are more agressive than the 98 cams = more hp). This way you can still use your stock intake and pick up maybe 30 hp.

will the 99 cams fit my 98gt without modification....what else will i need besides the cams....would anything have to be done to the cams or they would just "replace" the 98 cams.....please explain .....im clueless about the whole head deal

·
Registered
906 Posts
Here is the deal. I am in the same situation you are

1. Buy SVO heads and 99 cams for a total of about $1800 and they flow as good or better than 99 Ported and Polished heads.

2. Buy 99+ PI heads P&P for $1500 and have everything to do the swap.

Both will add about 40-50 rwhp. The svo heads are to be used if you are going to be supecharged. The PI heads can be used but you have to lower compression (included in the 1500 bucks but lowers HP)

3. Port and Polish you stock heads, get cams for a total of about $600. But if your tick like mine......get some new ones :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98Roush said:
Here is the deal. I am in the same situation you are

1. Buy SVO heads and 99 cams for a total of about $1800 and they flow as good or better than 99 Ported and Polished heads.

2. Buy 99+ PI heads P&P for $1500 and have everything to do the swap.

Both will add about 40-50 rwhp. The svo heads are to be used if you are going to be supecharged. The PI heads can be used but you have to lower compression (included in the 1500 bucks but lowers HP)

3. Port and Polish you stock heads, get cams for a total of about $600. But if your tick like mine......get some new ones :lol:

what would i get from stock p&p heads with the 99 cams.....also are there any other cams that are better.....and again will the 99 cams need any modifications to fit .....THANKS FOR THE HELP

·
Registered
906 Posts
99 cams are like 80 bucks a piece from your dealership. I don't think they have to be modified.

Gains should be about 30 hp from P&P and cams.

there is a guy on here who had like 70 hp gain but he was supercharged and had a HUGE amount of work done to his heads.
Boss96 i think is his name.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
98Roush said:
99 cams are like 80 bucks a piece from your dealership. I don't think they have to be modified.

Gains should be about 30 hp from P&P and cams.

there is a guy on here who had like 70 hp gain but he was supercharged and had a HUGE amount of work done to his heads.
Boss96 i think is his name.

OK LET ME ASK ANOTHER QUESTION BRO AND I APPRESIATE THE TIME YOUR TKING TO HELP ME OUT HERE......like i said i know nothing about the cams and i have your simple bolts etc. ....what else will i need to go along with the cams....and also what will just the cams give me without the p&p

also will the more aggressive 99cams affect my idle

·
Registered
642 Posts
The headswap changes from what year heads you are putting on. If you go with 99-00 heads, you will need new valve covers and new timing cover bolts. If you go with 01-02 heads, you get to use your stock valve covers and timing cover bolts. Either one, you will need to get a new heater tube that goes in the valley of the block or you will have to ghetto rig one like I did out of some high strength, hose that will not kink up. Either way, the kit that you buy from SD or Randy should have everything you need. I would have gone this route, but they were not saling it as a kit when I did the swap. It is just much easier and much less of a headache this way. Personally, I would not even bother with taking your heads off, sending them to SD, and then putting them back on. The downtime of your ride would be at least two weaks for that. Just buy new, better flowing PI heads and have SD port them if you must, you will get better gains, and I would imagine the powerband would still be better with stock 99 heads and ported 98's. Dont bother, get the PI's.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I think 98Roush gave about the right costs for the two ways to go with a head swap. Throw in about another $100 for the head changing kit and the Ford Racing heads come out about $500-600 more than the 99 PI heads. But, you've also got to get gaskets and some parts, and do a bit of other work to get those 99's in there. I think you'll probably end up closing the gap between the two choices to about $200.

I guess I can't see why so many folks just dismiss the FRPP heads as costing way too much. When you look at both bottom line costs, they may not be that different, and the FRPP heads bolt in with no extra surgery.....True or not?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NorthwestGT said:
I think 98Roush gave about the right costs for the two ways to go with a head swap. Throw in about another $100 for the head changing kit and the Ford Racing heads come out about $500-600 more than the 99 PI heads. But, you've also got to get gaskets and some parts, and do a bit of other work to get those 99's in there. I think you'll probably end up closing the gap between the two choices to about $200.

I guess I can't see why so many folks just dismiss the FRPP heads as costing way too much. When you look at both bottom line costs, they may not be that different, and the FRPP heads bolt in with no extra surgery.....True or not?

damn bro thanks for all the input, but what do u think that just 99 cams would give me with and also w/out a port and polish of my 98 heads.....also do i need anything to go with the cas or will they go right in with no probs....what does the average cam install cost

·
Registered
560 Posts
No its not true. There is a much bigger gap in price differece than that. You have to look at both sides. SVO heads run around 1700.00. That doesn't include the gaskets either! Anything you buy for the PI heads you have to buy for the SVO. YOU can get the heads from several people on this board for around $750. WITH cams! You don't get cams with the SVO's. So figure it out ....

SVO heads $1700(No cams) Just heads, no gaskets, No bolts, Nothing else!

PI Heads $1500 with '01 cams, FULLY PORTED, includes intake, gaskets, etc. Everything to do the swap + added HP of the P&P that you will not see with stock SVO'S.

·
Registered
642 Posts
96BluOvl said:
No its not true. There is a much bigger gap in price differece than that. You have to look at both sides. SVO heads run around 1700.00. That doesn't include the gaskets either! Anything you buy for the PI heads you have to buy for the SVO. YOU can get the heads from several people on this board for around $750. WITH cams! You don't get cams with the SVO's. So figure it out ....

SVO heads $1700(No cams) Just heads, no gaskets, No bolts, Nothing else!

PI Heads $1500 with '01 cams, FULLY PORTED, includes intake, gaskets, etc. Everything to do the swap + added HP of the P&P that you will not see with stock SVO'S.
I completely agree with you. It comes out to be more when you factor in all the gaskets and misc. stuff that comes with the headswap kit. I dont think the svo option is a good one unless you are sure the car is going to be blown in the future

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm not knocking on SVO people, hey if you have the money, spend it right? Well I don't, and alot of you don't as well. So we have to find other solutions. And this is something that we can all do and afford. I mean think about it, there weren't too many people out there with headswaps(SVO) until the PI's came out. Now everyone and there mother has done the swap, is thinking about the swap, or is in the process of doing the swap! CIVIC IMHO, I would not go through the trouble of removing the heads if you are just gonna port the stock ones and put cams. You will not see that much gain. The NON PI"s were just too choked up and the best porter in the world will find it impossible to free up enough HP to battle PI's. If you can't afford it right now, I suggest maybe NITROUS?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Civic Slayer,

What are the mods that you have which won't be compatible with the '99+ heads? I got about 50 rwhp from the headswap. Yes, it was expensive, but it runs like a completely different car. Well worth the money, IMHO.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Oh man, this thread is all messed up

Here....this is exactly what you need to hear

SVO:

heads $800 each
changing kit (gaskets and crap sold as a kit from Ford) $~125
cams $~200
total $1800-2000

they flow as good as ported and polished PI heads. And you still have room to p&p the svo's for even better numbers. They will mactch up to the SVO blower, which they were designed for/with, which some are referring to as mods that may be a problem.

PI:

EVERYTHING needed possible Ported and Polished $1500

they will flow as good as the SVO heads but no more room for improvement on that end. They will raise your compression so if you decided to get a supercharger you will eventualy blow up your engine if you run anything more than a miled 5 or 6 pounds of boost. You can get the compression lowered which is no extra charge in the $1500 and it will be so called "blower friendly". But that robs HP.

Both will add about 50 RWHP! The PI heads with lowered compression will add about 30 RWHP but if you added a blower, that lost 20RWHP comes right back.

SO....if you are going to get a supercharger, get SVO heads, if not get PI heads.

end of story :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts