Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always, I'm not the kind of guy that hides results.

We spent almost the whole day at PSI Speed Solutions on Friday. Frank Soldridge has been my tuner since we first got into the turbo world 4 years ago. We left with some homework after the last session in terms of fuel system, an AMS1000 and CO2. With the homework completed we made the treck back out and strapped the car down.

The goal was not to make power and put the car at its limit, it was to get a safe tune and carefully map CO2 vs. observed manifold pressure. Following that exercise we had a training session on using the AMS1000 to tune the car at the track. We made over 10 pulls, had the car on the dyno for hours, carefully changing and documenting the results. This was what we saw:

Gate - 5.8 psi = 555/527
Gate + 5psi CO2 12 psi= 709/648
Gate + 10 psi CO2 15.5 psi = 845/728
Gate + 15 psi CO2 19 psi = 949/795
Gate + 20 psi CO2 22.5 psi = 1024/830
Gate + 30 psi CO2 over 30 psi = 1045/826 - got out of it, was breaking up
Gate +25 psi CO2 27 psi = 1107/859 - still didn't like the way it felt

Changed plugs, our AR3933's were worn and plug gap had opened up to .035. A new set at .020 were put in. Since we made too much boost on that one, we stepped back a bit.

Gate +25 psi CO2 28 psi = 1117/877.8 - felt good
Gate + 28 CO2 28.9 psi = 1126/885

We stopped there because we were seeting less power increases as we pushed harder, the car had a very safe A/F and conservative timing so we stopped there.

We got in the car and drove around for 20 minutes with Frank tweaking street tune. The 160's drive fine.

We then spent a bunch of time on the AMS1000 talking through how to control the car with multiple timed based stages and set up what Frank thought was a good starting point and got his commentary on how to change it to make the car behave differently. Following that, I have to say it is light years more flexible then an AMS 500 althought that served me well also.

We really didn't have to use much CO2 to get the results we were looking for, it really doesn't look like I'm seeing a back pressure problem even with the T4 housing which is interesting. You can see how it steps up incrementally but not dramatically at all.

So when it was all said and done, I left with what I feel is probably the most carefully mapped tune I have had....and also a bit smarter from listening all day to Frank. It is one of the reasons why we never mind making the 2.5 hour drive, there is a lot to learn hanging around that shop.

If anybody needs tuning help I would again give a strong endorsement to Frank's support, well worth the trip.

(Combo here is a DiSomma Racing Engines 347 w/ highports and nothing exotic, Hughes PG, B&G hotside, custom cold side and garrett core intercooler)

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
that's massive power!!! congrats

·
Registered
111 Posts
What ignition do you have? I run mine at .032 and no issues. 30 psi on a PT88.
Actually my plugs are 3923's

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What ignition do you have? I run mine at .032 and no issues. 30 psi on a PT88.
Actually my plugs are 3923's
Frank "felt" the car breaking up when we were getting close to 30 psi. Upon inspection the gaps were open up to .035 which the car didn't like at that boost level.

We replaced them with a new set gapped properly at .024.

I have an MSD GRID and a red MSD HVC II Coil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run an old school 7al box an tfi coil
New setup starts to break up.. I'll remember your .024 gap. But will try it with the .032 the previous setup ran.
See you in a few weeks at BMP
Btw.. 4788 T4 your little brother of the 5088

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a pt8847 for the past two years. They work. The gt5088 just works better. See you there!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know Frank well, not only is he a great tuner but he's one of the nicest dude you can meet. Never rushes you off the rollers or out of the shop either, I'll be PSI tuned as long as I'm in the game.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, Although my car has been pretty stable and I only make it out to Frank once a year or so he will always provide advice and answer the phone.

...and one way or the other he is usually right when he tells you to do something.

I have learned to take the advice and get to work!

Watch te results down at sgmp, they are down there racing this weekend.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pt8847 exhaust wheel vs gt5088

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
What kind/size cam is in this beast, and ill 3rd that '#######'

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Around .700 lift, not disclosing other specs. Custom comp spec'ed by Anthony DiSomma.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Awesome is the only thing to describe those numbers.

Frank's new shop is 25 mins from my house (his old one was 5 mins away). Do you know if he is familiar with tuning with the Anderson PMS?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts