Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched through the forums - nothing jumped out. Sorry if it's already been asked, but curious:

Anyone using their GT500 as a daily driver? I'm contemplating a purchase (new), but it may see upwards of 100m a day on occasion. Assuming my wallet can handle the gas and tire money, do you think it silly to consider one of these cars as a daily driver? I'm not a garage queen kinda guy, so when I buy a car, it's to drive it first and foremost. I commuted for years in a hair-trigger clutched turbo car, so you can say that I've built a pretty high tolerance in traffic situations, lol.

Appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you can afford to take the depreciation hit then go for it. I have been contemplating getting one myself and using it mostly DD. I have a garage queen already and it is not that much fun, I want to be in a "fun" car all the time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't driven one yet - so guess I was asking more about it's traffic mannerisms than anything else. Stiff clutch, gear ratio issues while stuck in traffic, attracting the attention of the local police, etc.

Think I'm gonna go for it here in about a month unless I hear about people's clutch leg falling off, etc. Based on my current driving, I'll put 30k or so on her each year - but I'm ok with that...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
if you plan to keep it and not resell/trade it in later, the mileage isnt an issue. sure would be a sweet car to dd!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
No problems here DD the Shelby. Aftermarket clutch is easy on the leg. Took it on a trip and got 24 MPG over 500 miles (even after getting there and city driving).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
A couple thoughts.... My '07 has what I consider to be a vey stiff clutch, I put it in neutral all the time when stopped to avoid having to hold it down. 2010 and up are supposed to be much lighter and probably not an issue. Other than that its a very comfortable car, easy to drive, gas mileage sucks if you use the throttle at all.... :crying:

As far as buying new, if you plan to rack up a lot of miles you will lose a lot of value, I'd look for like a year old for a much better value. Or, an interesting option, my local Ford dealer has been sitting on a new 2010 forever and finally decided to blow it out. MSRP is $51,270, they had it at around 49 for a long time, just dropped it to $42,991 a week or so ago. Its Grabber blue with white stripes, I've been drooling over it since it first hit the lot but couldn't justify paying 40's...

2010 Ford Mustang at Rochester Ford N Rochester - Rochester Ford

If you come get it you owe me a ride for the hookup.... :salute:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Vettkilr,

1st - if you use the 92 5.0 car in your sig as a DD then I don't think you'll have an issue with a GT500. Your 92 must be a sick car!
2nd - I have a coworker that DD's his 2012 SVT Performance Pkg GT500 (coupe) to work and drives over 60 miles a day on his. He loves it! Gets around 18 combined MPG.
3rd - Let us know what you think of it as a DD when you buy it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I say go for it. I drive my 2012 everyday rain or shine in NC. It's been great and I'm getting about 13 mpg. My biggest complaint is that heat soak robs alot of power on hot summer days while in traffic. A dual fan HE is in the plan for me next spring. Again, go for it. Stock is so docile to drive compared to a fox with a blower its unreal. No clutch pedal effort. Only complaint I have is the dreaded 1-2 grind at high rpms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you buy an older one the clutch is a little heavy but ok. I put the up-dated clutch in an 08 today and the clutch was so light I didn't think it would hold,but it did. Go for it, you will have a blast. PS I did the clutch under the power train warranty.

Don C

·
Registered
980 Posts
Go for it. This is my daily driver-No really- I have a blast in this car I just took it to the Summit Racing store in Ohio and I'm planing a trip to Tampa
later this fall. I drive this where ever I go. And I go about 16,000 mi a year.
This winter will be then first with the Blower I might pull it and run a single
four barrel carb until spring. I have been driving this car year around for many years and I don't regret it at all. yes it get some nicks and small dents now and then but,,,I'm enjoying it
In the winter I run skinny tires and wheels with studs and I have a set of chains that I need sometime to get up the mountain.
I live in the appellation mountains and our winters can be brutal.
nice cars may look great sitting in the garage
But they feel fantastic going down the road.
I built mine to drive.--chains on and all

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
16,000 a year at what, 10 mpg? Yikes.... :eeek:

·
Registered
980 Posts
16,000 a year at what, 10 mpg? Yikes.... :eeek:
I just got back from a trip to Ohio and my best was 21.4 that's running
70-80ish with the air on. I'm sure I could do better @ 60 or so but that's
no fun....I run and drive this car.
Drove it for 2hrs in the pouring rain.--ran fine
a mostly stock 5.0 and until you punch it the blower just goes along for the ride.
Nice stereo (CD) ,8 way power lumbar seat, air conditioning and all the usual stuff so why not?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts