Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm assuming that the intake ports on these heads are smaller than the ports on the lower TFS track heat intake...
right now i have a TFS track heat intake. in the next few weeks i'm planning on getting GT40x's. i've heard that with larger intake ports on the lower intake, and smaller ports on the intake side of the heads is a no no. which is what i'm doing now, and i feel like its robbing me of some torque i could/should have. is this true? also, anyone know how well the ports from a TFS intake and GT40x's will mate, are they close in size? and last question...i know that porting will definately help, but i;m only going to be running a TFS stage 1 cam NA...is it really neccessary to port the heads to the intake?

thanks
steve

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Gt40X heads actualy have a larger port(taller) than the trick flow lower. My Trickflow is the street heat version, I have been told the lower is the same as a track heat. The GT40X heads use a 1262 intake gasket instead of the 1250. It is a quick port match to make them line up correctly.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Im pretty sure the GT40X heads are set for a 1250 gasket or just a hair smaller..

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Line the gasket up on the bolt holes of the intake and then the head and you will see the difference. You could grind off the excess your self. Just mark it with some sort of marker or bluing and lightly grind the metal to match the out line. only grind into the ports about a half inch, just try to blend it in that's all there is to it. I think they charge about $200.00 to do this for you. If you can bolt the heads to the motor and then bolt the lower to the heads and look into the ports. You will see how it ligns up. The intake should be the same size or smaller on the manifold.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
GRN92LX I am glad your pretty sure . I know for a 100% fact the GT40X heads are not set up for a 1250 gasket because I bought on to port match everything and found out they weren't. The trickflow street heat lower is 1250 size so you have to remove material from the top of the intake runner were there is plenty of room. I just did all this in May BTW with great results form stock heads and a explorer intake. I did port my GT40X heads also

1 - 6 of 6 Posts