Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the stock headers work with the plug location of the P's? I thought I read once you need 90 degree boot spark plug wires regardless of what headers you use with the P's, is this true?

I know, why bother yet not put the headers on but I am in the process of being a new engine and need to get it together and on the road as soon as possible and headers just arent in the budget right now (in the near future though). I'm thinking of getting some P's to replace my 160K miles stockers. Thanks all.

Tim

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have never heard of using the stock headers with the P heads. I believe that the only thing you can do is buy the headers made for the P- heads. I don't know the answer to the plug-wire question. Call on of the big mustang parts places out of MMFF and ask.

·
Registered
729 Posts
From the pics I've seen of Fox stock shorties (I've never had a set) the driver's side looks like it'd cause problems.

The 90 degree boots help with non-P shorties. With P shorties you can use 135 degree boots no problem.

If you want to do heads AND headers you might look up BH Performance in Garden City. http://www.bhperformance.com . Gerry has CNC ported E7s for $399 exchange or $499 outright. He gets stock iron GT40 flow numbers w/ just 3cc mat'l removal and stock backcut valves. Fresh springs, locks, seals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Sean! I'm going to call BH Performance tomorrow (as long as their site comes back up so I can get a phone #). Just rebuilding my stock E7s by my machine shop was going to cost me $430 (no porting or anything). I still wish someone had a definitive answer for P's and stock headers (just for general info).

Tim

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I65Stang said:
Thanks Sean! I'm going to call BH Performance tomorrow (as long as their site comes back up so I can get a phone #). Just rebuilding my stock E7s by my machine shop was going to cost me $430 (no porting or anything). I still wish someone had a definitive answer for P's and stock headers (just for general info).

Tim
Ha! I tried to sell my very nice fresh E7's at a swap meet for $125 and nobody even looked at them. I decided that I'd keep them for my '67 Mustang 289.

·
Registered
729 Posts
LOL......yeah.....I got the set in my basement from my buddy for free. Not much market for 'em used. He seems to do well with these as they're about the cost of simple refreshed heads.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I65Stang said:

Tim

Someone saw you coming! $430 for what?? I had a set of e7's disassembled,sandblasted,milled to straighten,1.90/1.60 valves cut in,and a 5 angle valve job all done for around $160. Unless they were doing all of this and including valves($150 for a Decent set)and springs/locks($115 from summit).All that would cost $425, Are you saying they wanted that much just to freshen up the stock heads(I.E. valve job,new springs,seals)? :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, trust me, when he told me the price I thanked him and hung up. There was no way I was going to spend that on E7s (the price was for new everything and all machine work/testing). I've been going to that machine shop for years, probably the best known one in this area (been around since '64).

Tim

·
Registered
883 Posts
well, if that price included everything I listed above, then that is about on par...FWIW, I haven't given up on the e7's yet, I have seen a well thought out combo get into the 11's with ported e7's. They are capable of over 300 rwhp if done right. Of course you better be porting them yourself for it to worthwhile as far as $$ goes,If not you could easily spend $800-$900 on them to flow in the mildly ported edelbrock 6037 or tfs twisted wedge range with the added iron weight!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts