Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
They don't give you any leeway. The car is dynoed pre-season and you keep the dyno sheet with your log book. The car is weighed and you have a sticker on the windshield showing both power, torque and the cars weight. Most of us do a pre-season dyno at a race shop in in the area in late Feb/early March.

When each race is over the first x amount of cars (usually 3 or 4 depending on field size) go directly to impound. You are weighed to ensure you meet your required weight and sometimes, not always they will dyno you.

There is no real leeway, if you are 1 HP or TQ over you are Disqualified.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've just been looking at this restrictor plate from Willy's. I think this would work for me and what I intend to do.

Does anyone have any experiences with this plate or any other type of restrictor plate that may be out there ?

Adjustable Restrictor Plate

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just watched an episode of Engine Masters and they were talking about how "excessive" oil level robs power. Maybe toss in an extra quart and see what happens?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
An extra quart of oil in a road race situation can turn the oil into a froathy mess that doesn't actually work as lubricant very well.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've just been looking at this restrictor plate from Willy's. I think this would work for me and what I intend to do.

Does anyone have any experiences with this plate or any other type of restrictor plate that may be out there ?

Adjustable Restrictor Plate
I tried looking, since I'm stuck inside like everyone else, and saw that same plate so it must be popular in the roundy round world. I did find it a little cheaper at

I also found this plate with adjustable/swapable inserts. It's A LOT cheaper at $70 bucks, but the inserts cost are extra. Look to be about $38 bucks a set. It looks like it would disrupt air flow less.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
As I agree with the plate, Do you have power steering I will take about that and give you power steering.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What about running a colder spark plug?

Heavy gear oil
Heavy transmission oil in manual
Thick engine oil with oil cooler.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Old timer
5,804 Posts
What about running a colder spark plug?

Heavy gear oil
Heavy transmission oil in manual
Thick engine oil with oil cooler.

I mentioned the thick oil but I guess a lot of people never noticed. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah it's a good idea Ed. Heck it's only 8 hp the OP is looking to kill. The oil trick is also used in nascar. They have been known to run a 5w oil to quality then a heavier weight during the race. Combine the oil with maybe a colder plug if needed and I believe the results will show.

I think the restriction plate is going to be too much.

·
Old timer
5,804 Posts
Yeah it's a good idea Ed. Heck it's only 8 hp the OP is looking to kill. The oil trick is also used in nascar. They have been known to run a 5w oil to quality then a heavier weight during the race. Combine the oil with maybe a colder plug if needed and I believe the results will show.

I think the restriction plate is going to be too much.

We tested various oil brands, different viscosity and even a few oil "filters" in one of the Coyote Stockers that I mess with. Shocking what it showed on the Dynojet.

I don't like the restrictor plate deal at all. Could hurt shift recovery and cause part throttle issues. That would suck when exiting a corner.

Another thing is the camshaft.... It should be designed for a carburetor and profiled for a flatter torque curve and not some peak power number.

Whatever... :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Jamie... as you know my engine is built to the same specs as yours. I did not have the opportunity to dyno my car before my last race. I made a restrictor plate based on the suggested specs as one of our competitors. IRRC it had 1 1/16" holes... you have to run a spacer under the carb between the restrictor or the butterflies will contact the plate. I probably made the holes too small however... I could run with everyone in the corners but on the front stretch at Dominion they would pull 3-5 car lengths on me by the braking zone. I would catch back up to everyone but, as you are aware, passing zones at Dominion are rather limited and would then lose the ground I made up once we got back to the front straight.

I looked at the various adjustable restrictor plates and after talking with a couple of guys in the Texas region decided to purchase a Moroso adjustable throttle stop. I haven't tried it yet as my racing has been very limited the past couple of years... it's a simple concept and would make for quick adjustments on the dyno before a race. Here is a link: THROTTLE STOP, 4150

I didn't think of Ed's suggestion with the heavier oil but that may be worth a shot as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Throttle stop is the way to go. That’s what I used on my AI race car.
what distributor are you using ? I would suggest forgetting about base timing and focus on total timing. Recurve it so you get all advance by 2200 and limit to 16-20* of mechanical advance. Dyno advancing Total till you get all you can then limit hp with the throttle stop.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
What's to stop you, beside ethics, from having an ignition switch that changes between a "dyno timing" setting and a "race timing" setting. Would be easy to hide in the car and you could flip the switch before rolling off the track into impound.

Yeah. It's "cheating". But didn't someone say cheating is winning or it's only cheating if you get caught? LOL

But hey the no variance for weather conditions when dynoing part is BS, so..... if they want to operate under BS rules, why be so tied to said rules?

·
11,065 Posts
FWIW I seem to recall Maximum Motorsports, when running in American Iron, would crimp their tailpipe with pliers until the HP was in spec.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts