Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running an SN95 GT 10" rear disk setup on my Fox.

I just purchased the 2300-M kit to upgrade to the 11.65" CObra rears.

I understand the caliper is the same, but i'll need the Cobra pads. I know the caliper brackets are different. The Cobras is wider for the rotor and connected in the front. The GT's is open.

WHat have you guys with GT's who have done the upgrade done? Just grind open the slot slightly??

Where can i get the brackets for the Cobra? Anyone have a price? I'd rather go with the stronger Cobra brackets but will grind my GT brackets if it's gonna be too much of a PITA.

Car is a street car, so it will not be stressed much.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I cut about .060" out of the inside of the outer leg on my GT caliper mounts with a cutoff wheel mounted on a 4 1/2" grinder. I was able to use my recently purchased GT pads. I sanded them on a piece of course sand paper laying on a flat surface. The actual Cobra calipers loaded with OEM type ceramic pads are only a couple hundred so I might go ahead and buy those when it comes pad time again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i work at autozone where they list one pad for both GT and cobra. either they think they fit, or aftermarket pads short you the .060 to start with to cover both applications... probably a 50/50 shot as to what the true answer is there.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, autozone pads do not fit. Seems they all come in the GT size.

I just shaved down the pads a bit to make them fit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
well.... that doesn't really surprise me :)

my pads were new this summer, so by next they should fit when i go to the cobra setup...

thanks for setting me straight. i'll make sure to guide customers with cobras away from them. by the way, which pads did you buy, the duralast, perf. friction, or morse ceramic, or all of them? does one fit? their computers drive me nuts at times.

thanks
doug

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the performance friction pads. With the pads in and the piston all the way retracted it still wasn't even close to fitting over the Cobra rotor. I shaved them down with some sandpaper on a flat surface. Pretty easy to do.

I looked online under several vehicles and they all had the same part number. I checked a '03 GT, '98 Cobra, '04 Mach 1 and a '95 V6 Mustang....all 4 used the same rear pads according to their computers.

I could have gone motorcraft from Ford, but they wanted $80 for rear pads!! I only wanted a temporary cheap solution as next summer i am planning baer crossdrilled rotors and hawk brake pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts