Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be the most applicable forum for what I am doing.

The grm challenge is a low budget limited race that does autocross, drag racing, and show and shine for a documented 2017 dollars.

We are running a 1980 amc spirit with a 87 lincoln town car 5.0 and aod swapped in. Sock speed density system, de-smogged, long tube headers and boom tubes. Otherwise stock.

Now, i scored a $125 vortech v2 supercharger to use on this. We have about 200 left in the budget for getting it in and running.

Im thinking that a fmu will suffice for fuel, and there is some sort of check valve for the map sensor. Where do i get the check valve?

Im also wanting to do meth injection and intercooler.

So, first things first, fuel and engine management. What can I do for damn near free to make it run reliably and well?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You're on the right track as far as i know. Generally people mention getting the check valves from home depot. doesn't matter where you get it as long as they work. Depending on if you want to run meth, you may need a BTM to pull timing while boost climbs to avoid detonation. Idk how much timing that engine will like with boost and meth. Lastly, it'd probably be a good idea to grab an adjustable FMU so you can dial in the AFR at WOT. Otherwise I heard bleeder valves can do this for you if you have a standard FMU.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So exactly what check valve do i need? All i ever seem to find in my searching is just a blanket statement of check valve.

Or am i over thinking this?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah. I was thinking that there would be an exact orifice size, or something like that. I ordered the aquarium check valve.

Ive also spotted an adjustable fmu from spa turbo that looks like it would fit the bill. Any experience there?

Also, do i need to bypass the factory fuel pressure regulator or leave it alone?

Its looking like we should have the engine bay finished and painted in the next few weeks and be ready to plumb it and stuff the drivetrain back in.

Heres a link to the project if that will help you guys see what we are working on.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Oh yeah. I was thinking that there would be an exact orifice size, or something like that. I ordered the aquarium check valve.

Ive also spotted an adjustable fmu from spa turbo that looks like it would fit the bill. Any experience there?

Also, do i need to bypass the factory fuel pressure regulator or leave it alone?

Its looking like we should have the engine bay finished and painted in the next few weeks and be ready to plumb it and stuff the drivetrain back in.

Heres a link to the project if that will help you guys see what we are working on.
when you get the valve, blow on it both ways and make sure it's up to snuff. I can't attest to how much pressure it'll contain or what the cracking pressure is. you want the crack to be minimal I think.

As far as that SPA FMU, I have no idea if they're any good. lol I'd be looking for something used and known to work for cheap. I've seen people use bleed valves on the fmu line to control output pressure as opposed to running an adjustable FMU as well, which could be cheaper. the adjustable fmu just makes it a little easier on plumbing.

The stock FPR can stay, just ensure it is boost referenced. I haven't actually done things this way myself. I've got standalones and tune everything via laptop but I get what you're doing here. This is all the info I gathered when I was researching before buying a standalone and also when I was recently considering a ridiculously low budget build on another car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, thinking about the fmu some more. Its to increase the fuel pressure under boost to make them flow like bigger injectors.

I have a couple of different sets of injectors. Couple sets of ls1, and a set of 30lb ford racing.

Would these suffice instead of the fmu, but without a tune?

Again, shoestring budget here, and don't have to be a street car. In fact, it will never be able to be driven on the street.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So, thinking about the fmu some more. Its to increase the fuel pressure under boost to make them flow like bigger injectors.

I have a couple of different sets of injectors. Couple sets of ls1, and a set of 30lb ford racing.

Would these suffice instead of the fmu, but without a tune?

Again, shoestring budget here, and don't have to be a street car. In fact, it will never be able to be driven on the street.
It's going to be garbage at anything below WOT, and that is if you can even get a good AFR at WOT. Without the boost ref FMU it can't be tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts