Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim M who handled the JBA GP is considering a GP on Griggs alum d/s. Interest in d/s will determine whether it is a go or not. The higher the number the better the price. I think retail is about $390. Jim is checking on what years will be available. Just guessing, I think most will be 99+. Anyway, jump on so Jim can make a decision.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the one from ford sells for $169.:cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Chris98YellowCobra said:
the one from ford sells for $169.:cool:
This is true, but it is not made for 99-01 Cobras (or IRS cars). Although the Ford Racing DS is a nice peice, I have been told the Griggs DS is a more precise design and is lighter than the Ford DS. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Griggs doesn't make their own d/s. Someone OEM's it for them. I've heard it's a artfully made piece, though. whoever makes it. There have been offset problems and Q/C issues with the FRPP unit (who would have guessed).

I know the PST shaft is balanced to 1/4 gram, larger than stock, and about the same price as Griggs. www.pstds.com PST makes all their own shafts - they'll custom weld one up for 99 up Cobras, and they know all about the drivetrain vibe issues. I don't have it installed yet, so I'll let you know for sure how it works out with the vibrations.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Isnt the ford AL DS a larger diameter than the stock one, I believe the one griggs uses is the stock diameter? Correct me if I am wrong please. All I know is I cant wait to get mine back so I can get rid of all the damn vibration I am getting! :mad:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Funny that this question/GP came up. I talked to Jon Dega of Springfield Motorsport just the other day about the differences in the FRPP-vs- Griggs drive shaft . I have the rear of my car done with the Griggs GR-40 system. He states that the Griggs D/S has a smaller diameter. This makes it clear the torque arm better than the other/wider FRPP type. The loose tolerances of the chassis makes it a "hit or miss" situation for fitment. The Griggs D/S also is a precision made piece. I have every intention of getting one soon. I think that they were about $350.00 + shipping on their website. If the price is right for my `98 GT sign me up!!:joy:

·
Registered
654 Posts
As I recall the FRPP is 3.5", and the Griggs is 3".

Anyway, I'm in if you get it off the ground. I need one for a T-56 / IRS combo.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would go for it, given a decent price, for a 2001 Cobra 3650/IRS.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Most 99 Cobras can use the FRPP aluminum drive shaft like I did. I did not think it would work, however a friend of mine with 97 Cobra (with the IRS) said it should work. It was a tight fit but it did fit. The 01 Cobra is diffrent story though, the 3650 must be a tad longer than the T-45 because the FRPP aluminum drive shaft does not fit. The part # I used was 4602-J.

·
Registered
489 Posts
austinTX said:
Most 99 Cobras can use the FRPP aluminum drive shaft like I did. I did not think it would work, however I friend of mine with 97 Cobra with IRS said it should work, it was a tight fit but it did fit. The 01 Cobra is diffrent story though, the 3650 must be a tad longer than the T-45 because the FRPP aluminum drive shaft does not fit. The part # I used was 4602-J.
That's what I have heard, re: the 01 Cobra. :(

·
Registered
672 Posts
According to the Griggs Racing website, their driveshafts for 94-02 Mustangs (solid axle) w/T45 are 3" dia. The 99-02 Cobra (IRS) part (for T45/3650 or T56) is 3.5" dia.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That price seems way to high, PST did my CF driveshaft for not much more then that. They build each one to spec so tranny type, length etc. is not a issue. You can also get them to make the DS with CNC'd rear yoke to eliminate the runout problems (vibe) assoicated with the stock setup. It clears my torque arm just fine.

·
Registered
489 Posts
BLKCobra01 said:
That price seems way to high, PST did my CF driveshaft for not much more then that. They build each one to spec so tranny type, length etc. is not a issue. You can also get them to make the DS with CNC'd rear yoke to eliminate the runout problems (vibe) assoicated with the stock setup. It clears my torque arm just fine.
Can you post the dimensions/specs that your DS was built to. I tried to wade through the form at DynoTech, but too many numbers.

·
Registered
554 Posts
BadBud said:

Can you post the dimensions/specs that your DS was built to. I tried to wade through the form at DynoTech, but too many numbers.
You will have to talk with Mark @ PST. He built the one for my car when it had IRS and then did the second one at his shop when I put the live axle in. He has the specs for just about every combo it seems. I know he can do one for your 01 Cobra w/ 3650 since he did mine almost 7-8 months ago.

The CF is a better material to use for DS's especially with IRS since it has a torsional property that allows it to twist and thus reduce the shock on the rearend.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts