Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've grenaded my t5 about 3 months ago and I know how it sounds from inside :)
Good luck

·
Registered
270 Posts
I took all the teeth off the input shaft in my T5 a couple weeks ago. It makes a very loud bang inside the car, then you're just coasting.

Mine also happened on the 2-3 shift. It gets your attention, that's for sure!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have it rebuilt?

If so how much was it?

I am sort of up in the air about what to do. I pulled it out yesterday, and was thinking about a whole new tranny, but I do want to look into fixing this one first.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought the parts from Hanlon's and did it myself.

This was for input and cluster shaft, the rest of my gears were undamaged.

The good news is I was at the track Friday night and the transmission worked as good as ever.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's exactly what mine looked like. See my input matches yours:

It works a lot better with this one in it:

Just like mine the rest of the gears look to be undamaged, so it could have been worse! It would be a real easy fix if it was just the input, but of course when the input goes it takes the cluster with it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I guess I basically need to duplicate the order you placed?

Was the shaft you ordered an upgraded unit, or a stock replacement?

·
Registered
785 Posts
did you engage the clutch before it was fully in gear? I beat the heck out of my old stock T-5, but granny shifted the 2-3. Was a 302 with 200 shot running 10.50's. I was always worried about the 2-3 shift..., shift it slow enough I never had a problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It wasn't a granny, but it wasn't a quick shift either. I was always very careful going from 2nd to 3rd, and only missed 3rd once in 5 years.

I was very surprised, since the tranny never showed any signs of weakness - no funny noises, ect....I thought for certain I had lost the clutch disk, since it was the cheapest Ford Racing one, but it is still at 75%.

This was only the second time I ran it with the 100 shot (besides the dyno), I guess it couldn't take the torque.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok, so I guess I basically need to duplicate the order you placed?

Was the shaft you ordered an upgraded unit, or a stock replacement?
The parts I got from Hanlon's were genuine Tremec stock replacement parts. I've seen these parts online for a good bit less money, but I don't know if they are some cheapo knockoffs so I was afraid to take a chance.

As far as I know you can't buy the G-force input and cluster without buying the complete gearset and that, while a worthwhile upgrade, was more than I could afford at this time.

Also the G-force input is a 26 spline while the stocker is a 10 spline so the clutch disk would have to be replaced as well when doing this upgrade.

Since neither of was power shifting I don't think the failure had anything to do with shift technique. You're spraying and I'm running a Windsor stroker so we're both kind of pushing the limits of the 'ole stock T5. I broke mine on my 200th pass with this transmission. If the rebuild gives me another 200, that's about all I can ask.

Keep us posted on how the rebuild goes. I'll be watching for your post saying you're good to go again!

·
Registered
402 Posts
sorry to hear about this.

I bought my Cobra T5 from promotion powertrain for $750 plus shipping, just have to send them your's as a core charge.

good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mmb617, do you run at PRP?

Since I put that T5 in (1997) I count 52 runs at PRP on it, plus probably another 30-40 at the flashlight drags.

So, I guess something was due to break....

·
Registered
270 Posts
mmb617, do you run at PRP?

Since I put that T5 in (1997) I count 52 runs at PRP on it, plus probably another 30-40 at the flashlight drags.

So, I guess something was due to break....
I run at Beaver Springs.

I've put about 20 passes on since the rebuild. So far, so good. We'll see how long it lasts this time since I know exactly when the new parts went in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
sorry to hear about this.

I bought my Cobra T5 from promotion powertrain for $750 plus shipping, just have to send them your's as a core charge.

good luck!
I get a bit confused by the different T5's that are available. I found this which is helpful:

http://moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

The way I read it the Cobra T5 isn't much stronger than the '90-'93 T5 (300 ft/lbs vs 310 ft/lbs). And the T5Z, while the best of the factory T5's is still only rated at 330 ft/lbs.

I got a chuckle out of the part where it says the T5Z can handle up to 450 HP if it's not drag raced. What's the point of having 450 Hp if you don't drag race?

The "After market super heavy duty T5's" section is what got my interest. It says they can handle 600 HP in drag racing applications. I assume they are talking about the G-Force or Astro A5 type transmissions. If I'm buying a new transmission or upgrading my unit that's the way I want to go. If they can handle 600 HP they should last forever in my car which has considerably less HP.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I know your not racing a convertable with the top down with no cage....please tell me I didn't just see that???

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know your not racing a convertable with the top down with no cage....please tell me I didn't just see that???
It's a short track, probably safer than riding on the freeway.

At least I wore a helmet, there were people there with the roof down, no helmet, no cage.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The way I read it the Cobra T5 isn't much stronger than the '90-'93 T5 (300 ft/lbs vs 310 ft/lbs). And the T5Z, while the best of the factory T5's is still only rated at 330 ft/lbs.
I think the 2.95 first gear ratio is the best thing about the Z spec.

I also found this - The same Borg-Warner T-5 transmission found on the GT was used for the Cobras, except it came with phosphate-coated gears as well as stronger bearings.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Look on the bright side....u had that Slomaro beat...and that"s always important :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am back on the road via a cheap used T5 for now.
It is actually pretty good - goes through the gears smoothly, no whines, no grinds.
It came out of an 89 GT, my buddy swapped in a TKO 600 to handle his turbo.

Time to watch the Hanlon video a few times, then rebuild mine this fall/winter.

Hopefully, it will be relatively easy and cheap to change first to 2.95 instead of 3.35.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts