Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have been on this board for awhile, approximately three years ago there was a big brouhaha on this board concerning JR Granatelli and his company's products. JR came on the board and he basically put his money where his mouth was. He sent to me (I was the Moderator of this board at that time) a tubular k-member, tubular a-arms and coil over kit.

The install was done at Bryan Leonard's abode one Saturday morning and lasted through the evening. It was not a direct bolt on, requiring some serious finagling to get it in and set.

It was better than stock, but it wasn't a Griggs by any means.

The reason for my post is this. The unit has had a catastrophic failure of the mounting points where the a-arms bolt to the k-member. I mean catastrophic as it has split the mounting points and the only way to repair it is by removing the k-member and fabricating new brackets.

I contacted Granatelli Motorsports and was transferred to Mary Ann. I spoke to her about it. I was more than willing to purchase new brackets and weld them on myself. She told me she would call me back. I called her back the next day, as she did NOT return my call. She thanked me for my patience and told me that they could not send me new brackets, as they only received the units pre-assembled. Even though JR had the unit sent for testing and evaluation, they would not warranty the product.

So - the main crux of this post is this. If you buy from Granatelli Motosports, remember Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware. You will not get service after the sale.

I am now in the lookout for a Griggs unit or a Maximum Motorsports unit, as I feel that those two are the only ones who live and die by their products and service.

For those that post on other boards (like corner carvers) - go ahead and forward this to people on those boards as well. The more this information gets passed around, the less of a chance someone else will suffer this kind of failure and subsequent loss of use of their vehicle.

Stay away from GMS, I realize that they sponsor a number of Mustang drag racers, but their products will not stand the test of time. And for those of you that think I abused the car, I only race at the appropriate venue, and always take care of my vehicles. I doubt if any of you were ever present at the autocrosses in Houston and at Texas A&M that my wife and I competed in, seems like ages ago. My car was pampered except for at the races, where I drove it to it's fullest extent but never beyond that.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Kenny,
Thanks for coming in and letting us know about the GMS products. I, for one, appreciate someone telling it like it is without resorting to flaming or name calling. I purchased a GMS aluminum axle girdle some years ago and was not satisfied with the product. GMS took care of it eventually, but not without me having to make several calls from Florida to California on my nickel to attempt to get the problems rectified and having to put up with a good bit of resistance in the process.

I often recommend either Griggs or Max Motorsports as a source for almost all chassis and suspension components because of my prior experiences with lesser products. I currently run pretty much the entire MM suspension setup on my GT and it fits right, was a straightforward install and has performed flawlessly.

Let all who read this posting know that there is one truth when it comes to performance aftermarket parts. You usually get what you pay for and quality parts are not cheap.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I bought their tubular rear control arms. After thay were installed I had a vibration. I thought thay were bolt in and go. I went back over the car only to find my pinion angle was about +10 degrees and not at -3 degrees where it should be. It slamed my driveshaft into the floorboard!!! So to fix it thay sold me adjustable uppers :rolleyes:... Thay were OK for a while but now I heve a clunk in the rear. I have found other posts with same problems from their bushings. just have not had time to confirm but my rear suspension is all GMS and would not suprise me!!!!! I have poor 60 foot times and have NEVER been happy with my suspension, their products, or their service!!! :curses:

will be going to MM complete rear suspension if I can sell some of this GMS stuff to the scrap metal yard ;)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Thats why I started with Griggs from the beginning.

I figure why save a few dollars to have the joy and fun described in this thread, only to have to upgrade which means spending the same money twice.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
ReefBlue said:
Thats why I started with Griggs from the beginning.

I figure why save a few dollars to have the joy and fun described in this thread, only to have to upgrade which means spending the same money twice.

thats my new motto :) wis I learned sooner

·
Registered
125 Posts
You would think the chinese newspaper the parts come wrapped in would be a clue... Seriously though, I had a conversation with JR several years ago about the durability of their components for road racing. I basically told him "I'll put your stuff on my car, but I'm GOING TO USE IT on track. If it breaks, everyone will know parts were on it since the car was a demo vehicle for my shop at the time." "Um... you should be fine with our stuff..." "Well, if you send it, I'll run it, and we'll all see it it'll work" Never saw parts and in retrospect I'm glad I didn't.

FWIW, the ONLY K-members suitable to even drive onto the property of any road course are MM, Kenny Brown and Griggs, IMHO. But if you actually race the car, you should be inspecting any of these regularly as well! I currently have a stock K in my American Iron car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new here, but I thought I would post this little FYI from the Griggs website.

"Notice to all customers - Dennis Hilliard, D.B.A. Central Coast Mustang (CCM) A.K.A Ground Pounder, or Granatelli is no longer an authorized distributor or installer of Griggs Racing Products (GRP). The presence of the GRP logo and GR-40 trade names in CCM advertising is inaccurate. Griggs Racing Products cannot guarantee the authenticity of GRP products purchased through Central Coast Mustang, and cannot provide warranty or technical assistance for any product or service purchased through Central Coast Mustang.

Moreover, Griggs Racing has never performed any engineering services for CCM, Ground Pounder or Granatelli kits. Griggs Racing cannot vouch for the integrity or performance of any chassis component from either of these entities. With the exception of those products which may have been duplicated from GRP designs, there is no commonality of parts nor any business relationship between GRP and CCM, Ground Pounder, or Granatelli.

Bruce Griggs "

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K-Member Removal

I replaced the k-member yesterday. I will send MFE the pics to post tomorrow, but the gist of this is if you ever think about buying a Granatelli Motorsports K-Member, you will be putting your life in your hands.

After tearing into the removal, not only were the tabs broken off completely where the left hand a-arm bolts in, but the right hand motor mount bracket was also sheared completely through. Who knows how long this broken, and I could have very easily been killed by the shoddy workmanship of the product. The pieces were pressed together, then welded onto the k-member.

Stay away from anything Granatelli, especially if you value your life. The difference of a GMS k-member and what I paid for a Maximum Motorsports unit (from Artsparts here on the Corral) is a paltry 64 bucks. Since the original k-member from GMS was given to me for testing, I cannot proceed through legal channels. For anyone out there who has this unit installed, and paid for it, I would watch three key areas - the motor mount brackets, the a-arm brackets and the steering rack brackets.

Kenny

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coil overs

babstangv6 said:
what about their coil over kits?
I have those as well, and as soon as funds dictate, the a-arms and the coil over kit will be pitched into the trash.

Save your money and get a coil over kit from a reputable manufacturer, such as Griggs or Steeda or Maximum Motorsports. Is your life worth a few bucks more? My life, and those of my family certainly are worth a few bucks more, if only for the safety factor of dealing with a reputable company that stands behind their product.

Kenny

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im running there height adjuster RLCA's and hate them. I didnt realize it before i ordered them, ive ordered more stupid stuff because of that summit credit card then id like to think about but, there designed all wrong. They put the heim joint on the body and the polyurathane which feels more like rubber, maybe it is rubber, on the axle which causes your rear end to wonder all over the place and bind much more then the worn out stockers without a panhard bar. This caused the bushings to start self destructing within 250 miles. Now with a few thousand on them the bushings look horible and need to be changed. At first the ouside edge of the bushing just wore off because of all the binding now the bushing has shifted and is trying to come out of the arm. Called them about a part # for the bushing and they didnt want to help or care to hear about the problem. Shoulda saved my money and bought MM's. I bought there radiator also and it has turned out be a good radiator so far, i wouldnt buy it again but i havent had any problems as of yet.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The rear coil over kit they sell is the biggest joke I have ever seen. Has any one every gotten that kit to work?

You get what you pay for.
I can't figure out why people will still buy any other K frame for road course/autocross use other than KBP, MM or Griggs. Don't waste your time or money. I just went to the GMS site. I see they ripped off the MM K frame and arms. Did the stuff you got look like this?

Are these new style arms and K frame copies or the same unit?

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
The new GMS K-member and front control arms pictured above are not MM parts, unless GMS is purchasing them from one of our dealers and relabeling them. MM does not sell either of these parts to GMS in any form. Both of these products are 100% manufactured in our shop in San Luis Obispo, so there is no subcontractor to be shipping parts or subassemblies sideways to GMS. I have to say; from the photos they LOOK LIKE very good copies. Well they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I guess we can add GMS to the list of MM parts cloners (GMS, D&D 'actually forgeries', J&M, Steeda and QA1).

Sigh.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a feeling they are having them copied over seas. Look at the prices on the GMS site. I don't think they could relable them for those prices. I'm sure they have lots of profit margin built into those prices as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
When will companies learn that it is their customers who make or break them over the long term and do what's right to keep their customers happy (within reason of course). Only then will they get repeat or word of mouth business. This principle seems lost on many businesses today.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts