Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...as part of #GT350TrackTour...and oh my god...the BRAKES. We were allowed 3 laps on the unfortunately short Wild Horse Pass West track, and like a good little lamb, I follwed the instructions to leave it in 3rd gear. So while acceleration wasn't stellar coming out of corners, the 8250 redline took most of the main straight, and then...the brakes. Googly moogly, those things could stop an aircraft carrier.

Then I got a hot lap with an instructor and found myself giggling like a kid as he used more gear and more top end for later, harder brake applications and much more rotation through the corners.

The car weighs something like 150 lbs less than the non-"R" GT350, owing to lighter wheels (carbon fiber), no A/C, and less interior, among other tweaks. But it felt nicely appointed inside.

The front calipers are gigantic, single-piece 6-piston units with an interesting radial mounting style, where the bolts come through from the "end" of the caliper rather than through the side.

The carbon-fiber wheels might actually weigh less than the brake rotors, but they cost $6,000 a piece if a replacement is needed. :eek:

Damned capable car overall. We're in a golden age.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would have been more awesome if I had done what the the other guys did and said "#### yo 3rd gear only". The instructors don't know who they're getting, and he asked me before we went out if I had ever done anything like this before. I said "probably 1000 laps on this track alone". He said "good, I won't have to tell you much", and he didn't. And when I caught up to traffic on my last lap, he had me hold way back so I could get a good run through the corners one last time. But he never did say "go ahead and use 2nd and 4th".

A buddy of mine was instructing at the event, and he let some of our other acquaintances have at it, but I couldn't snag him for my ride.

But yeah, still a pretty cool experience.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
pics or video?

Sounds like a blast man

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They were running GoPro but I don't have the video of my runs yet. Here's the ride-along with the hot-shoe pro:

This was my ride

And a purty one on display

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
...as part of #GT350TrackTour...and oh my god...the BRAKES. We were allowed 3 laps on the unfortunately short Wild Horse Pass West track, and like a good little lamb, I follwed the instructions to leave it in 3rd gear. So while acceleration wasn't stellar coming out of corners, the 8250 redline took most of the main straight, and then...the brakes. Googly moogly, those things could stop an aircraft carrier.

Then I got a hot lap with an instructor and found myself giggling like a kid as he used more gear and more top end for later, harder brake applications and much more rotation through the corners.

The car weighs something like 150 lbs less than the non-"R" GT350, owing to lighter wheels (carbon fiber), no A/C, and less interior, among other tweaks. But it felt nicely appointed inside.

The front calipers are gigantic, single-piece 6-piston units with an interesting radial mounting style, where the bolts come through from the "end" of the caliper rather than through the side.

The carbon-fiber wheels might actually weigh less than the brake rotors, but they cost $6,000 a piece if a replacement is needed. :eek:

Damned capable car overall. We're in a golden age.
Soooo.... MFE, was your ride kinda sorta like this one:

http://youtu.be/jp9d-HhblD0

:)

---

Coming from the original 5.0 "heritage" like myself, what was your overall thoughts of the S550 - not just that it was a Shelby GT350R, but the overall baseline vehicle (interior/exterior)?

I've been loving my 16 EB/P w/PP... and I can only imagine what the GT350R brakes are like - however I can say that the Performance Pack brakes on my EB are insane as well - and the fronts are massive in size... The car will come to a firm stop when needed that's for damn sure! :)

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coming from the original 5.0 "heritage" like myself, what was your overall thoughts of the S550 - not just that it was a Shelby GT350R, but the overall baseline vehicle (interior/exterior)?
Every one of them I've driven has impressed me dynamically, they drive very well and they're tight as a drum, they make great power, they handle well, and they have good brakes. But every time I get in one or drive one I'm reminded of how bloody HUGE they are. Especially the view up and over the massive, high hood.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
Every one of them I've driven has impressed me dynamically, they drive very well and they're tight as a drum, they make great power, they handle well, and they have good brakes. But every time I get in one or drive one I'm reminded of how bloody HUGE they are. Especially the view up and over the massive, high hood.
The hood view - ah yes, agreed! It took me some time to adjust to that view as well! It's different more so coming from vehicles where if in the driver seat, there's hardly any hood view to be seen. I guess the design purpose was to stay with the historical "long front short rear" aspect of the original Mustang.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I refuse to drive a coyote. Just about everyone in our club who has test driven one bought one. Lots of New Edge and S197 guys dropped like flies.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,746 Posts
That is exactly why I have not either.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
A buddy of mine just got a 16 GT350. It's a very metallic dark gray color. Neat car. Sounds awesome.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Nice! I saw them At B-J in Scottsdale. I drove a new '16 GT, new Camaro. IMO Dodge had the best runs with Hellcat & Viper!

I remember old beat up 94-95 Cobras with cracked welded floorpans going for 20-50% premiums over private party cobras!

I think WH Pass has Camaro's & lots of vettes but the GT350 is new?

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where the heck have you been, vette-boy?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sounds like a blast. I haven't driven any mustangs newer than my last Terminator. I hear the GT350 is a real performer. I am about ready to get back into a Mustang, or maybe a Raptor. I am sort of waiting to find out what the GT500, or Cobra will be, if it ever happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts