Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got the mustang i wanted, a nice supercharged LX 5.0. Amazing paint, amazing body, great interior, very stout engine, and even a great stereo. Owned it for 90 days. And then Wednesday a C U Next Tuesday decided to try and make a U turn threw my front end.
What sucks even more is that I am just a full time student who just got out of the Military. I get what the VA gives me for disability and then money for school. I have my fingers crossed that I will get something from the insurance company

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sorry to hear that, looks real clean too.
You're definitely gonna have to fight her insurance since they'll probably want to cut you a $1200 check and say that's what a 91 is worth according to kbb or whatever they use.
Hopefully it gets resolved fairly and quickly.
And thanks for your service. :salute:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the insurance company is looking for other 91 mustang lx's and cant find any. I was told by the adjustor that they are having trouble finding market value because they cant find any other 91 lx's. Does this mean they are totaling it out?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
yeah the insurance company is looking for other 91 mustang lx's and cant find any. I was told by the adjustor that they are having trouble finding market value because they cant find any other 91 lx's. Does this mean they are totaling it out?
Possibly, I'm not an insurance agent but I did stay at a holiday inn express a few times. Do you have full coverage and an agreed replacement value covering all of the mods?

Start price shopping a replacement car and the cost of the mods. They'll probably figure in deprecation on the mods. But always make sure you have some numbers to come back to them with. My mom went thru a load of bull#### when her 97 tbird (I know, nothing special) was hit in a major hail storm. The ins company couldn't find a comfortably equipped bird with 22k on it to value the car. She did a lot of the leg work and presented them with what an identical replacement would cost. Long story short, she got a check for $5500 and got to keep her car. Albeit with a salvage certificate. I made a few trips to the u pull it for trim and a hood and decklid in the same color (pearl white, even the factory #### didn't match car to car). It's all repaired now but still has the r title.

Best of luck to you man. Maybe you'd wanna call haggery insurance and talk to them. I'm sure they insure a comperable 91lx somewhere...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
make the insurance company give you the cost of repairs to the car and do not let them total the car and basically steal it from you. you may have to check the laws in your state to be sure you can do this though. some states wont let you do this.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sad to see this happen to a clean Fox, hopefully this works out for you. Unfortunately this is an example of why we should always try to have agreed value coverage on our classic vehicles if possible.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Damn that sucks. I had a '91 LX vert with a SN92 on it and I loved the way that thing sounded!!! I pulled in front of someone and just couldn't bring myself to fix it back knowing it would never be the same.

I hope they don't end up screwing you. Give 'em hell!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
sucks man. that's why you have to get agreed value insurance for these cars.

·
11,040 Posts
1. Do NOT talk to the other driver's insurance company. They will record you, try to confuse you, suggest that the accident was your fault, try to get you agitated, try to get you to say "stop the recording". Their goal is NOT to make things right, but to get you to go away with minimum cost.

2. If you let them say anything rude or stupid to you, they will mark you as gullible. They will definitely lowball you and say that you only have 24 hours to take it or leave it.

3. While your car is sitting in a wrecking lot, the lot owner will secretly be billing you $50/day for storage. No you can not go in and take the radio or motor parts out of the car. Garage door opener and work badge only.

4. Call your insurance company. Have receipts and printed pages from ebay and craigslist for cars similar to yours. Your insurance company has a different goal. Firstly they want to keep you as a customer, and any check they right for you will be reimbursed plus expenses by the other insurance company. They can also muscle the lot owner. I didn't know about the $50/day and I started out with the other insurance company, which "forgot to do my paperwork" and gave me a lowball offer 30 days later when I called them. It was then that the lot owner said "$50/day" (that's 1500 dollars, kids). My insurance guy yelled at the lot owner and got him to accept $900, which he billed to the other insurance company.

5. If airbags were deployed, go to the hospital for a checkup! That airbag stuff is nasty.

When I called the other guy's insurance company directly they were constantly being offensive, but I remained calm. Then they offered me $4800. (95 cobra, full MM, full perfect interior, two week old 331 built by JBA, very good paint.) My insurance company got the lot paid off plus IIRC $9800 and I got to keep the car. The point is to not waste your time on the other insurance company.

·
11,040 Posts
p.s. Dude, that'll buff right out!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
just like what has been said, fight the insurance company. i've had a few run in's myself, and if you are persistent it will really pay off.

the accident doesn't look too bad IMO, should be able to get it fixed for a decent price. good luck!

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
Rip the fender off, as well as bumper cover.

Go find a really old oak tree.

Strap a come-a-long around the tree and to the top left (passenger side) of radiator support - use device until it pulls the rad support forward and as straight as it can be...

Slap on another fender, bumper cover and associated lights.

Done.

Now as far as insurance goes - they're gonna look up ACV value - which stands for "Actual Cash Value". If the car is worth $500 to them, that's what they will offer you.

YOU on the other hand must do some legwork - get the values of 5-7 Mustangs of the same type AND same condition as yours - with or without mods. You can search for these online or using local papers etc. get an average value of those samples. Provide the value to your Insurance Agent and do not settle for anything less.

If the value is say $7k, don't take $3k... They will try to BS you into lower settlement.

So here's what you do - if they offer you $5k, tell them to replace THAT car in THAT condition, excluding any mods, is gonna cost you $7k replacement value.

They may come back with $6k... If your happy with that take it BUT - then spring on them you are going to keep the car (you can if you retain the title). They will then say ok, we'll cut you a check for $6k, but deduct ACV of $500 from it. So you end up with a check for $5500 AND you retain the vehicle.

Now you have the options of:
1) Banking the $5500 and fixing car enough to drive it
2) Banking the $5500 and selling the car to add to your bank account
3) Banking the $5500 and parting out the car to add to your bank account

If you choose options 2 or 3, now you have enough or more money to put down on the next car.

I also was not joking about fixing the car with a come-a-long above, it can be done. I did it to a prior Fox Mustang, it worked. That's really not a very extreme hit - looks it from pics, but that rad support and inner fender will pull forward pretty easy, enough to get a new fender and bumper cover back on.

Trust me about the above with Ins Co haggling / been there done that with a prior 87 notch that I had - which was wrecked by another idiot within a couple of months of owning it...

Search for my thread on here somewhere, it's old...

Whatever you do - DO NOT SURRENDER the car!!! You'll be loosing easy money, even if they give you what you're seeking...

·
Registered
922 Posts
sucks man. that's why you have to get agreed value insurance for these cars.
+1. This is a must with old/modified cars.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My car is insured through Hagerty for $5K, with the new engine swap I think im going to raise it. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts