Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I starting buying parts over the summer to build my 302 and then to my surprise xmas morning there was an On3 kit under the tree for me (I literally had no idea she was buying it for me, and no I wont share her) anyways my plan was to make around 400hp on the 302 until now. Everyone is telling me not to waste my money building the bottom end if im going to be running boost making 500hp because the block is just going to split eventually so I have access to a 351 out of a mid 90s f150 for $200.
my question is what should I be buying for internals? I think I am going to stick with the stock crank and rods and just get it bored .030. I have new TFS Track Heat 170 heads 61cc and a stage 1 cam. Im hoping the heads will be enough and I will be selling my cam for a larger one. I am going to have a lot of question regarding the 5.8 but ill do that in the 5.8 section.
So,
What would be a good piston to run? in either 8:1 or 8.5:1CR
What is a good Cam to run?
Does anyone know if I will have any issues with the turbo manifold fitting around the 5.8 in a 95GT? Maybe On3 can chime in?
I think I am going to run an AEM EMS too if possible (haven't done enough research on it yet)

thanks guys

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its for a 302, I don't believe they make a 351swap kit but Im wondering if it will work without toooo much hassle

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone here ever try the on3 kit on a 351 in a sn95?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
my guess is the crossover tube is longer to fit the wider block, but not sure about the headers

·
Registered
372 Posts
The 351 swap kit is for a fox and I believe I remember reading Chad state that he didn't know if it would work in a SN. I may be wrong though. You may be the guinea pig to see if the headers will work with a 351 in a SN. You will have to modify the crossover but most have to anyways on the SN platform ( I had to), but it will also have to be extended. You may also run into clearance issues with the downpipe.

I have never heard of someone going with on3 and 351 in a sn95 and I have done a ton of research regarding our platform. Most seem to buy a hotside from several other places and fabricate the rest. Chances are it has been done but just requires some tweaking. Just make sure ALL of your flanges are true before you start to put them on the car or you will chase down leaks and that gets very frustrating.:pain:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks AJ's Im still not 100% sure if im going to do the 351 swap or not. I have two 302 blocks here, one is out of my 95 and the other has forged .020 over pistons. then I have the 351. . .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i planned on spending around 3k after i bought my heads and valve train. . . im thinking itll cost at least double now. frig

·
Registered
372 Posts
No problem. I too had a budget of 3 grand set and almost doubled it. The little stuff just adds up quickly, ie the proper gauges to monitor everything, the extra heat wrap and getting the piping modified by a shop to fit. I think you should at least sit the 351 block with the heads in there and see how everything fits. It would definitely be worth it if you could fabricate or had a buddy that could.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if i go through the trouble of sitting in in there i should just do it all lol. what are the bottom ends on those 351's like? It would be nice to just put a set of pistons in and some new bearings and leave the bottom end alone. . . thatd save some coin

·
Registered
646 Posts
stock bottom end windsors will stay together if kept under 550rwhp and 6000rpms. There's plenty of them over at turbo forums running them. And I'm running a stock 95 351 as well as a close friend who is running a 94 model with 110 nos shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im going to stick with the 302 for now, and save up for a Dart block and do it right.
Which Cam would you guys recommend? I have an E303 and I have a TFS stage 1. I know there are a lot better out there and I will be getting one when I build the other motor.
its a 302 .020 forged ford pistons, tfs track heat 170 heads 61cc, 1.6 tfs RR. 70mm on3 turbo kit. just going to run the power plus intake and 75mm tb for now.
I still have to purchase injectors, pump, ems, maf (I have a c&L but I guess theyre no good), and all the small stuff.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i run the tfs cam in my car. works really well with the split duration. i'm spooled by 2800-3000. I also have the tfs heads. I love my setup it's awesome!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Toss the 351 in and fit up the kit. Worst case scenario is u have to get the crossover tube lengthened, run fox accessory brackets, and modify the cold pipes somewhat. Though I've heard the ppl using the sn95 5.0 kit on foxes just need to either move the oil fileter or relocate it so who knows lol

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Id think the standard fox headers wouldnt fit with the wider deck of the 351. My on3 kit is real tight as is, Other than lengthening the crossover tube, I bet on3 make a some changes to the runners on the headers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i run the tfs cam in my car. works really well with the split duration. i'm spooled by 2800-3000. I also have the tfs heads. I love my setup it's awesome!
This! I only run a Turbonetics 67mm on my car but it still spools very fast, I usually start to see boost shortly after 2300-2500rpm depending on gear and all in by 3000, albeit that is with a Hellion kit. Our setups sound very familiar though! Love mine too!:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts