Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get a new turbo in the price range of 600-700 probubly a t70 t4, what would be a good brand for that price range? plus are oil restrictors nessary? if so how do you guys have them set up.
Thanks Travis

·
Registered
259 Posts
I went through the same thing trying to replace my cheapo that exploded with something that would have a warranty and not break the bank. The best deal I could find was Turbonetics hurricane series off their website for $850 1yr warranty. No restrictor on the journal bearing. I couldn't find anything cheaper at the time that carried a warranty.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
MPT70's can be had for 400-550 used in great shape, new a lil more. I run a -3 feed no restrictor when I had that turbo and my current 76mm.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My turbo has journal bearing and I use a restrictor. I see people on here say not to use them but, from what I gathered when I was biulding my kit was why not. Iv'e never had a problem after 3years. I don't see why you would need that much un restricted oil flow to the bearing. With the turbo oil supply plumbed into the same place I source my engine oil pressure. It already drops the motors pressure 5psi. Would hate to see what it would drop without the restrictor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got a used mp70 t4 .68ar i'll make you a deal on.
its only got a couple thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For that price range I personally would be looking into a Borg warner Budget turbo, like a s475. They come standard in a t-6 flange for mid $500 and for an additional $150 you should be able to get a 1.01 t-4 hotside. Of course you may need to fab your downpipe to mate to the s475.

Borg warner makes some very stout turbo's for the price range. The s475 (75mm) should be capable of supporting upwards of 900whp. Another option, but more expensive is the precision Billet journal bearing turbos. The 6765 (67mm) will support mid 800whp and the 7675 (76mm) will support 1200whp. They cost allot more, but in the end are worth every penny.

Lawrence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts