Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Ford dealers parts guy refuses to carry FL1A anymore “because we only sell 1 or 2 a year”.
I asked about the 2 I was going to purchase today, as well as the 2 I purchased about a month ago and the 1/2 dozen or so I bought last year. Stupid chump.
Anyways, I won’t be welcome back there lol. Amazon wants about $30 ea, so I’m going to have to go aftermarket. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
$30 from Amazon? For one filter? You're not searching hard enough.

Walmart sells them for like 4 or 5 bucks US. What about Canadian Tire? Would they have them? When I spent time in Canada as kid visiting family, they seemed to have a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I’m in Canada. As far as I‘m aware, the only place in Canada to get anything Motorcraft, is Ford. Will try another dealer in a nearby city when I get there. We have Napa and Carquest up here. They don’t do Motorcraft but have their own brands. Just wondering if some of these may be as good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Wiz 51515 is what I run. Great filter.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
K&n

·
Registered
204 Posts
We have Napa and Carquest up here. They don’t do Motorcraft but have their own brands. Just wondering if some of these may be as good.
If you have Carquest, and the bean counters from Advance didn't have their way with them, the Carquest filters should still be made by Wix. Napa also I think may be made by Wix as well.

Bottom line, outside of Fram, most common filters are good filters. Just the FL-1 filter was the best bang for the buck, as things like a rubber anti-drain back valve was something you needed to pay more money for to get (Fram). But Purolator and Wix are both good filters. Carquest/Napa brand should also be fine, provided that things haven't changed after the Advance/Carquest merge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rockauto.com

Oil Filter.jpg

$4.73 CDN and shipping to my place was $13.43 CDN for 1 filter
Shipping was the same for 2 filters. I checked for 5 filters and it went up to $14.78 CDN.

Delivery is listed at about a week.

·
Registered
23,273 Posts
i buy a case of 12 from my local dealership, the whole thing

that way they dont have a problem

i keep my ford parts guy very happy, crown royal every christmas, he has returned it ten fold for me

seems like you pooched that relation

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
I buy them in bulk from Rockauto.com when I order filters for my daily drivers. By bulk I mean 6 or so. That's about a 6 year supply for me considering my car moves maybe 100 miles a year.

·
Registered
23,273 Posts
drive more

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i buy a case of 12 from my local dealership, the whole thing

that way they dont have a problem

i keep my ford parts guy very happy, crown royal every christmas, he has returned it ten fold for me

seems like you pooched that relation
oh, had I seen you there I would have said Hi. )
It’s no loss to me to not ever step foot in there again. The dude was ignorant and rude and obviously had no good use for my money. No worries, I’ll go elsewhere- the end.

·
Registered
23,273 Posts
Name the dude

I am sure there is something amiss, i can totally see why they wont bring in a case, to only sell a couple

if you need some, pm me

·
Registered
8,561 Posts

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
IIRC, the Motorcraft FL1A is outsourced to Purolator for manufacture. From what I recall, it's a Purolator Pure One in a Purolator Premium case, with motorcraft labeling. This is based on some internet "dissections" people have done on oil filters, so no official word if this is the case. There might be some slight technical differences with regards to the bypass valve.

Anyway, years back on my other Fords, I did interchange motorcraft and purolator Pure One's based on this.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Like mentioned, Wix is just as good as a Motorcraft, and the NAPA filters are relabeled Wix.
In my neck of the woods the O'rielly's and NAPA are on the same street, 1/2 mile apart. Sometimes O'rielly's is cheaper, sometimes NAPA.

·
USAF retired
9,128 Posts
Reactions: tmoss

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Ditto, there are lots of alternatives for the FL1A, just skip Fram. That size and thread type also has the largest selection of different sizes, that will screw onto the same threads/base. People often use a bigger filter in place of the FL1A, and those possibilities are listed on several websites.

So find some local parts place and ask what they carry for any old 70's V8 Ford, chances are the FL1A fits most all of them.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You go to the stealership just for oil filters? My presence at the Ford parts counter indicates surrender and desperation.

All the local parts chains here carry them. If not Motorcraft, then usually Purolator, Mobil, Bosch, Wix. Walmart too. Of course there's always a Fram PH8A on the shelf, but Frams are bright orange for same reason venomous and poisonous animals are orange: so you can avoid them without getting close.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts