Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a wrecked 97 I'm converting into a track car... Anyhow, it's completely streetable right now, though the rear axle is bent slightly. I need to replace this soon, and figured I might as well do it right the first time.

Any recommendations to look into?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the later model Detroit True-Trak a better diff? Because I had one in my old 94, and it got really noisy... I ended up having to replace it with a stock rear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the stress in roadracing is different from drag and a set of 31spline axles are good but you could save weight with some aftermarket strange or similar 28 spline and still have enough strength just run good (longer) studs. you could run a torsen T-2R rear diff which alot of people are running in a roadrace stang these are not good for a drag car though. just do a search on the torsen or maximum motorsports web site or go to reider racing web site or call them they will give you great advice :joy:

·
Registered
42 Posts
fastang412 said:
the stress in roadracing is different from drag and a set of 31spline axles are good but you could save weight with some aftermarket strange or similar 28 spline and still have enough strength just run good (longer) studs. you could run a torsen T-2R rear diff which alot of people are running in a roadrace stang these are not good for a drag car though. just do a search on the torsen or maximum motorsports web site or go to reider racing web site or call them they will give you great advice :joy:
Go Torsen T2R - it works. I have had them all and my truetrac isn't quite the same.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My budget didn't allow for a diff upgrade at the time I first put my car together so I did the extra clutch plates and F150 S-spring trick in my trac-lok to save money. Its still in the car that way and performs surprisingly well. Another trick is to leave out the friction modifier to increase the bias and use synthetic lube.

Nothing wrong with T2R if you can swing it....

·
Registered
222 Posts
The T2R has a higher bias ratio and has pre-load built in so it locks up better. It's been my experience that most people who purchase a T-2 or Tru-Trac tend to move up to the T2R after a year or two.

As others have said in open track/road racing applications 31 spline axles aren't required.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It is my understanding that the 8.8" T2R application doesn’t come with preload springs, but it is available as an option ($$$). I don't ever recall seeing any clutches or springs in any of the off the shelf T2R’s I have installed, (mine included). I have also discussed the option of having them installed (with different pre load levels for tuning) with several ASedan Mustang racers. I have no idea why only that application wouldn't have them.
Perhaps someone with one out of the car could examine it more closely and let us know for sure (pics would be nice too). Or maybe someone has a connection at Torsen and could get us a definitive answer on the topic.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I sell them and have never been told they were an option. Look around on the web and see if you can find somewhere that shows the preload as an option.

·
Registered
479 Posts
From what I can find (searching, most results are in forum results) it appears that about 1/2 of the people say it isn't preloaded and 1/2 say it is (most of the ones saying it is, don't own one, and most of the people saying it isn’t do own one).
MM states on their site that there are not any clutches in the T2R, and I sure didn't see any springs in mine (which is the most recent one I've done).
You sell them right? Is there anyone you can contact to get a straight answer?
I sent Torsen an email, I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

The tuning adjustments were very loosely discussed and it was implied (or at least I assumed based on what was being said) that it was done directly through Torsen. They also talked about it breaking in and loosening up, so I also assume that there are clutches involved. (I'll dig deeper into it next time I see them).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just got off the phone with the tech line @ Torsen and the T2R is NOT preloaded for the 8.8 application.
The only 8.8 application that is preloaded is in the factory installed Ranger FX4 - 31 spline diff.
None of the aftermarket T2R units you would purchase through a supplier would be preloaded.
He also specified that some of the earlier T2R diffs were preloaded, but all current T2R applications are not preloaded.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Glenn said:
What are the differences between the True-Trac and the Torsen T-2R? I thought they were essentially using the same concept.
I believe that is correct, both are gear, not clutch type diff's.

The guy who sometimes wrenches on my car, Brian at B&D Racing, has had a T2R in his 600+ rwhp car for several years and has run it at the strip on slicks many times and now time trials the thing. No issues.

He told me the new True-Trac (he's installed a couple so far) looks even beefier, especially in the case, than the Torsen.

Decisions, decisions.:confused:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd go to Moser and let them put something together for you.... I know those guys pretty well and they always seem to make the most cost effective suggestions.... PM me if you need a contact there.....
DV

1 - 18 of 18 Posts