Comp Cam 270 hr with 1.6RR
Holley Systemax heads 190 160 NOT THE BEST HEAD
Edelbrock Performer lower ported by TMOSS 70mm TB

car ran a best of 7.92 5speed

Transmission :
Going automatic AOD

Rear End:
3:55 gears

Im looking into the ON3 performance turbo kit!!!!

I seen alot of good track times and HP with stock turbo 5.0L motors. i was thinking on going stock route GT40 HEADS & INTAKE with stock HO cam and 1.7rr or keeping my current set up but changing the cam because i think my current cam would not help me.

XE270HR cam specs are 218/224/112; .544"/.544" lift and reccomends 373s or 410s

SO PLZ GUYS HELP ME OUT WITH YOUR OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS THANKS!!! trying to make a fast street car

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday i sold my hci and im picking up some gt40 heads and gt40 intake i have my stock HO CAM laying around would you guys recommend using the HO CAM with 1.72 rockers? thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yesterday i sold my hci and im picking up some gt40 heads and gt40 intake i have my stock HO CAM laying around would you guys recommend using the HO CAM with 1.72 rockers? thanks
there are a lot of guys running stock cams on the forum and they seem to like it. what is the car going to be used for dd or track car.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
lots of people have problems lifting head gaskets on the gt40s
my cam is optimal either with 1.6s, but it doesnt take much boost to split the stock block.
im still learning
Yes, but at what PSI? There are several members running GT40/GT40p heads with moderate levels (under 9psi) of boost with no problems.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've heard of people running used Gt40 and Gt40p iron heads having head gasket problems. Some of them admit to installing the heads without having them surfaced or checking their blocks to make sure they are true. The tune, choice of head gaskets and the use of head studs vs. head bolts seems to make a difference.

I am working on a new turbo notch project and would not hesitate to run Gt40 or Gt40p's on it. I'd have them surfaced, use 9333pt hg's and ARP studs. Get the tune spot on and keep the boost at 9 or so and I'll bet it'd hold head gaskets for a long time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
my setup is GT40 3 bar heads, ARP studs. Fel-Pro MLS head gaskets. explorer/GT40 intake, Fcam, 1.7 proform RRs. stock rebuilt bottom end. converted explorer T Body (65MM), C4 trans with reverse manual valve body and 3500stall. wana make 450WHP wich i think can be done. while under 10PSI. i have my entire build in the "member build section" if you wana go check it out.

Ohh and im useing the ON 3 turbo Kit. with the standard turbo not the Master Power.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for everybodys replies.

@ lechols155 its going to be a ocassionaly driver and is gonna see alot of track action.

@fmyth i have regular arp head bolts less than 3 months old! so studs are betther? im new in the turbo thing

@stangbanger88 nice thread where did you get your c4 built? i want a bult c4 or aod??? what you guys think?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Current setup
On 3 setup with mp70
Sorry what I meant was run everything you have now as far as hci and just add a on3 turbo kit with the mp 70 and go run hi 9's. I've never seen a on 3 kit in person but people seem to like them.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
thanks for everybodys replies.

@ lechols155 its going to be a ocassionaly driver and is gonna see alot of track action.

@fmyth i have regular arp head bolts less than 3 months old! so studs are betther? im new in the turbo thing

@stangbanger88 nice thread where did you get your c4 built? i want a bult c4 or aod??? what you guys think?
Sell the ARP bolts and get head studs and Felpro 9333pt head gaskets. I'd also spend $40-80 to get the heads surfaced. Taking the top end off a turbo car to change head gaskets is a giant PITA and the gaskets/fluids aren't free.

The GT40 heads/intake and stock cam w a turbo will get you to block splitting territory and should be good for 10's.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
@ Fmyth thanks on the stock cam should i go with 1.7s or 1.6??? what do you think?
If you go to 1.7's you will need to upgrade to new valve springs or you'll likely have valve float issues. I don't think that you'd pick up much anyway. The beauty of running a turbo is that you can simply turn up the boost to reach your HP goals.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
i wasnt saying the gt40s wouldnt work. but you guys spelled it all out where i didnt. my bad
head studs can torque down more than bolts
my cam is not ideal for turbo either, but its staying for now
pretty sure im going to use the on3 turbo.
what about their 76mm turbo? its about the same price as the 70mm.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
i wasnt saying the gt40s wouldnt work. but you guys spelled it all out where i didnt. my bad
head studs can torque down more than bolts
my cam is not ideal for turbo either, but its staying for now
pretty sure im going to use the on3 turbo.
what about their 76mm turbo? its about the same price as the 70mm.
I would think that the 76 would be a little too big for a stock block build. The 70 would spool faster and make more than enough hp. I cant think of any good reason to upgrade to a 76 on a 302 stock block combo.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you go to 1.7's you will need to upgrade to new valve springs or you'll likely have valve float issues. I don't think that you'd pick up much anyway. The beauty of running a turbo is that you can simply turn up the boost to reach your HP goals.

knows his stuff....thanks for all your help with my setup.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
knows his stuff....thanks for all your help with my setup.
Just a few things I learned the hard way:). I like to share my mistakes so others don't waste their time and money as I did.

Glad to see you got your car done. Looks like it's making great power at 6psi.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts