Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I guess I'm the new guy here. My incon kit is "in the mail" from a corral seller. :joy:

My 331 is 10:1.... if the incon is only putting out 6 lbs of intercooled boost, should I be ok?

What can I expect in terms of tuning expenses. The main thing I'm after is driveability, but the thought of 600 rwtq brings a nice little grin to my existence.

1. Should I stick with my CARB-approved Magnaflow catted X or go back to the stock H?

2. The stock radiator.... comments?

3. Stock Cobra flywheel or lighter weight? Meh?

4. Are all tunes/ chips created equal? Are there certain types of tunes to seek and others to avoid?

I don't want to agree to a $2k tune that they guy assures me will make all my dreams come true, then when the thing is bogging and backfiring out of the parking lot the guy only then declares that 95 computers are impossible to tune. (meaning he doesn't know how to)

Can anyone recommend an excellent tuning shop in SoCal?

·
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty high compression for a turbo setup, you plan on running race gas?
LOL, exactly what I was thinking.

A couple years ago I asked the same question about adding a blower and the consensus was that 6 lbs should be manageable with a tune and not expecting optimal hp.

If the answer is "hell no, don't even try it" then I need to start saving my lunch money for lower compression slugs... and h-beams.... I guess o-ringed gaskets too.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd start saving money then. My personal opinion is that if I only wanted to run 6lbs, why spent a couple thousand on a kit with all the headaches of installand tuning?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
...or just run E85.

ks

Reactions: P63

·
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ or race fuel is really just a bandaid for the underlying problem of too high compression to run serious boost. Seems like the build wasn't intended for boost from the get go.
Well, yes, you're correct. I set up the car for 325 or so rwhp... something I could drive to work with no intention of squeezing every last ft lb out of the block. The rotating assembly, the cooling, and the suspension were set up with that in mind.

But time marches on, kids go off to college and graduate, and daily drivers become Friday cars. My simple question is "if I slap an incon kit on this high compression motor, can it be tuned to run without detonating?"

E85 is a helpful suggestion. It is a viable option.

Observing that the motor wasn't originally intended for boost is just restating the original question.

·
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...or just run E85.

ks
Thanks, that's a good option.

My original concern is that when I take the car in for a tune, and the shop assures me that they can make a safe tune on 91 octane, that when I pick up the car it will have poor driveability and performance. E85 is a way around that.

IIRC mileage suffers by about 20%, but that's cheaper than head gaskets.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Lots of LS motors running around with turbos and at what compression? The margin of error becomes smaller on your tune. E85 looks too be a good option, if the rest of your fuel system is up to par. A fuel system that can provide enough gas for a 1000hp motor is only good for about 750ish on E85.

·
Registered
918 Posts
What is you bottom end capable of handling? Run e85 with boost, absolutely, but if the bottom end won't hold out after much boost, I would be wise to go ahead with dish pistons and forged bottom end.

·
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is you bottom end capable of handling? Run e85 with boost, absolutely, but if the bottom end won't hold out after much boost, I would be wise to go ahead with dish pistons and forged bottom end.
The shortblock includes a forged crank, but the rest is i-beams and cast pistons.

Is there any way to guess how much lower the compression could be with dished pistons? I think the chamber size is 60 cc.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A forged crank, with cast pistons, in a stock block? Regardless of what the crank, can handle, it's still a stock block with cast pistons.

·
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A forged crank, with cast pistons, in a stock block? Regardless of what the crank, can handle, it's still a stock block with cast pistons.
I'd be in better shape with a stock crank since the incon is set up for that. :(

Anyway, I'm just trying to come up with a plan for how to integrate the TT with what I have right now. The long term plan will include a legit shortblock. But that's years from now.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The good thing about e85 in the West coast is that the mixture is a lot more consistent than what we have here on the east coast. Summer blend winter blend extreme variations in temperature. I swear the weather on long island is as bipolar as the people.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd be in better shape with a stock crank since the incon is set up for that. :(

Anyway, I'm just trying to come up with a plan for how to integrate the TT with what I have right now. The long term plan will include a legit shortblock. But that's years from now.
Maybe I've missed something, what's the crankshaft quality have to do with the fittament of the incon kit? If you really want a stock crankshaft I have a fresh one in the bag, I'll trade you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Water/meth injection is an option to raise boost.

I'm at about 9.6:1 compression, and I can tell you the warning about the tight tuning window is absolutely correct.
Be extremely careful with tuning. Even what doesn't seem like much timing at 6lbs boost on 91 octane will have you replacing head gaskets.

If you can build a fuel system for e85 and have it readily available, that's the road id go down if it were mine. Be careful on timing with that stock block also. You are easily going to be one small error way from breaking a lot of stuff. Keep us updated.

·
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
... starting to think I should just save my lunch money and store the TT until I can install some h-beams and dished pistons, and have a pro tune the thing.

Is 9:1 ok? The 95 cobras were 9:1 IIRC.
Is a special head gasket called for?
Is there a better bumpstick?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think thats the best way to go considering if you mechanically torch this engine, there is a fair chance you'd torch the new turbo kit as well...9-1 should be fine, a custom cam ground for the application would be advised. Even then, if you wanted to run e85 rather than pump gas, you can always turn up the boost.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i run 10.4 to 1 compression with a turbo, you will be fine and i run much moire boost than 6-7 on pump gas. you can call me or pm me for details. 4072599010. as far as tuning before i would spend over $1.000.00 for a tune i would go to a stand alone system like Holley HP or MS3, i personally run the Holley Hp on my car and it is very user friendly and is as close to plug and play as you will get with a modern ecu, maybe half a dozen wire or so and you are up and driving.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
The "low compression with boost" mentality is antiquated thinking. Tuned properly, you can run well more than 6 psi. As mentioned, I'd lean towards a stand alone engine management system for maximum control. I, also, am going to run the Holley HP. Currently running Megasquirt on my NA setup, but going 331 turbo and stepping the game up significantly. Think of it this way, the better your engine runs NA, the more power you'll make with less boost.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts