Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running the comp xe265hr cam on a stock bottom end 306 with a 67mm and a aod with small converter! It's hard to get the car to leave real hard until the boost comes in. I was thinking about going back to a stock cam or maybe the cobra cam If I can find one! Would this give a little more torque on the bottom end or should I stick with the comp cam? The comp cam sees to pull really hard 3000 rpms and up but I don't turn the motor past 6000 because it has a decent amount of miles on it. So I'm thinking a stock cam would benefit me more than the comp cam?!?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have the stock cam with a set of TF 170 cc heads,ported and polished TF street heat intake 1.6 roller rockers and an AOD with a mild stall, car drives great seems to have alot of low end torque...and power....and boost seems to come in very quick almost no lag at all...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the results I'm hoping for by going back to the stocker cam. Little more bottom end torque and faster spool up time!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
That's the results I'm hoping for by going back to the stocker cam. Little more bottom end torque and faster spool up time!
My car spools very fast almost to fast sometimes...i think...it is an AOD with a mild stall i really need a better TC tho...this was on a supercharged car being turbo to me is alot different...but my power band comes in quick...and pulls very hard...still never hit full boost car scares me.LOL...

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Yes go back to a stock cam. You will think you have a brand new car.. The TQ will be sick, and you wont loose any HP. People crack stock block, with stock cams all the time. :)

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the trans brake is kinda out on my budget for this car. And for the converter it's a tci street fighter, suposed to stall around 3500 but it does not really stall that high!

I was doing a little more research and I think another way I can go is to put a shorter gear in? Running a 3.08 now and it just leaves like a turd on the 60'!! Was thinking I could go with a 3.73 that would match up to the converter and cam a little better.
Running a 28" tire also

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
So it's a off the shelf converter?

A custom converter thats built for what you have will help ALOT, gears and a the cam will aswell.

In a auto car, the converter is EVERYTHING!!

Just seems the combo isn't ideal in my opin! Matching the combo properly is what makes a car work.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
Food for thought...

When I use to footbrake my car I had the converter setup for that. With a 3.27 gear on a 275/60dr with a 331 and a MPT70 my car would go 1.4 60's

All in the converter!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, its a off the shelf converter. I got it with the aod, other wise I would have got one built. I think I may try a set of 3.73 gears ( have then all ready) and then a converter before I try the cam option. Every one keeps saying converter so guess I need to go that way....

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
The other stuff may very well help also, not sure if you have done any testing with what you have on the street/track.

After hearing its a off the shelf converter, def ALOT to be gained in the converter.

Good luck bud, sounds like your on the right track!

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Teh gears will help. I am runnign 373's now, with my AOD, but I am moving down to 331's. 373's is too high for my setup.

Also what valve Body do you have ? I ask becouse Trans Brakes are cheap to add to some VB's. I got a qoute for only like $150 to add one to my Lentech one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I'm new to the auto world! I knew off the shelf converters are not as good as one built for the set up but I didnt know they sucked this bad lol!

I have just a stock VB and even if I were to just add a trans brake to the VB I know I would still need te aod to be built better than what it is now!

You say the 3.73 is to tall of a gear ?? Were you running out of gear in the 1/4 or does it not load up the motor enough for the turbo?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Spent almost a grand on my converter and I love it , made a huge difference down low and pulls like a boss in high gear , the old converter was too loose and hurt performance badly , drop as much as you can afford into a custom unit , you won't be dissappointed !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dont go any lower than a 3.55 gear with a turbo, unless you spin the piss out of the motor. Remember that turbos work off of load, and reducing the load (lower gear) will reduce the turbos performance in the lower gears.

Like these guys have said, converter isnt everything, its the ONLY thing! You could probably have the TCI 'verter sent to a decent shop to be reworked for less money than buying another one. Decide on the gears before you do the converter though, as that has a BIG impact on how a converter is built/designed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a price on a converter from the local converter guy. Cameron out of Columbia sc, I'm sure some one has used their converters before on coral. Their suposed to be pretty good, gave me a quote of 550 bucks and they base their converters off a 9" gm conveter core. As for the gear I think ill try and get some one to trade me some 3.27 or 331 gears for the 3.73 set.

May have to put all that on hold though, got air bubbles bubbling in the coolant?!? Did a compresion test and everything looked good but I think I have a HG blown! Go figure

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you wanting a harder launch on the strip or on the street? Have you tried a 2-step rev limiter?
Lmao!!! Car Dose not hook on the street at all so I'm mainly just looking for better et's.

But yea i have a two step now, have it set at 2100 rpms. That's about as high as I can get it before it pushes through the light. Makes around 3-4 pounds on the two step.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Lmao!!! Car Dose not hook on the street at all so I'm mainly just looking for better et's.

But yea i have a two step now, have it set at 2100 rpms. That's about as high as I can get it before it pushes through the light. Makes around 3-4 pounds on the two step.
Sounds like the converter is your best bet, but a transbrake may become necessary as well!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts