Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at these Global West front control arms. Anyone running these? I initially wanted tubular front control arms for wheel clearance on my 1990 gt. Im flip flopping between these and the BMR ca's. These ones are a little different though, the sway bar end links are attached to the arm? Im not sure if this is a good thing or not...lol... any opinions?
Global West:

BMR:

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
No reason to upgrade to tubular arms if you are not doing a complete coilover conversion. Look for stock replacement with new bushings.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reason to upgrade to tubular arms if you are not doing a complete coilover conversion. Look for stock replacement with new bushings.
Well, more clearance for 9"+ wheels is one reason. Also the added 2 degrees of caster and the del-a-lume bushings in the Global West arms is two more. $650 for CA's, as opposed to $1000+ for a full on coil over kit plus A arms in the front; just to have conventional coils in the rear, isn't nothing either.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You’d save some money buying Global West’s Del-A-Lum control arm bushings that give added caster.

I’ve used them with in the last and loved them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use the BMR A-arms on my 2000 GT autocross car. They are very well built, lighter than the stock A-arms, and when I first put them on the car, they felt amazing. But, after 1 year, the poly bushings failed. My car is only used for autocross, but I do drive it to events. I made a video about the issue. Here’s a link…

I have since replaced the poly bushings with custom Delrin bushings. You can see the extent of the poly bushing failure in this video…

When it came time to address the bushings in my Fox Body, I went with the GW Del-A-Lum bushings in the OEM A-arms. I also asked about their tubular A-arms. The GW A-arms are heavier than stock and are designed to hold up under harsh racing conditions. Depending on your application, just the Del-A-Lum bushings might be a good option. Having used the Del-A-Lum bushings at one autocross so far this season, I can tell you they make a big difference.

I discuss the Del-A-Lum bushings (among other bushings) in these two videos…

Sorry to overload you with links. I hope the videos help inform your decision. If you have any questions, please ask.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the BMR A-arms on my 2000 GT autocross car. They are very well built, lighter than the stock A-arms, and when I first put them on the car, they felt amazing. But, after 1 year, the poly bushings failed. My car is only used for autocross, but I do drive it to events. I made a video about the issue. Here’s a link…

I have since replaced the poly bushings with custom Delrin bushings. You can see the extent of the poly bushing failure in this video…

When it came time to address the bushings in my Fox Body, I went with the GW Del-A-Lum bushings in the OEM A-arms. I also asked about their tubular A-arms. The GW A-arms are heavier than stock and are designed to hold up under harsh racing conditions. Depending on your application, just the Del-A-Lum bushings might be a good option. Having used the Del-A-Lum bushings at one autocross so far this season, I can tell you they make a big difference.

I discuss the Del-A-Lum bushings (among other bushings) in these two videos…

Sorry to overload you with links. I hope the videos help inform your decision. If you have any questions, please ask.
Hey thanks! I subscribe to your YouTube channel and have watched ALL your videos. The clip on the BMR A arms is what got me looking at the GW stuff...lol. My mustang is a DECH that was originally set up for road racing. It has 1000-1200lbs springs front and 280-300lbs rear with Koni DA's. Because the car is pretty much original I didn't want to mess with it too much and thought the tubular front arms would give me extra clearance for 9" wheels up front. But your video on the BMR bushings kinda swayed me to the GW arms. Maybe if i got the BMR arms and added the Del-a-lume bushings?? Hmm?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I say GW bushings in stock arms. They are an awesome upgrade. When I switched from POS steeda poly bushings i instantly noticed the ride was smoother over nice pavement and cruising on the highway. Once I started throwing the car around on a back road I used to frequent I instantly fell in love with the sharpness of the front end.

Why people even bother with polly is beyond me. I have had some bad experiences with poly and watched others destroy them quickly. I honestly believe it's a scam as I've only seen them last on garage queens that see very few miles per year.

I don't believe the GW bushings will work in the BMR arms unfortunately. You would have to make your own which depending on your skills may be fun. I wish BMR would make it an option for us.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey thanks! I subscribe to your YouTube channel and have watched ALL your videos. The clip on the BMR A arms is what got me looking at the GW stuff...lol. My mustang is a DECH that was originally set up for road racing. It has 1000-1200lbs springs front and 280-300lbs rear with Koni DA's. Because the car is pretty much original I didn't want to mess with it too much and thought the tubular front arms would give me extra clearance for 9" wheels up front. But your video on the BMR bushings kinda swayed me to the GW arms. Maybe if i got the BMR arms and added the Del-a-lume bushings?? Hmm?
Thanks for checking out the videos and subscribing! I'm glad the videos are helping people. The DECH is a very cool car; I understand why you don't want to cut it up. I run American Muscle FR500 18x9 wheels on my Fox with the OEM A-arms and GW bushings. I do need to use rack limiters to keep the 245/40/18 Rivals from rubbing at full steering lock. But, depending on your offset, you should be able to use limiters to solve the rubbing issue.

It's worth checking with GW about the A-arms, because they might be wider than the OEM arms; they look pretty beefy in the photos. I don't think the Del-A-Lum bushings will work in the BMR A-arms. You might have seen my video about the custom Delrin bushings I had made for my BMR A-arms. I was able to take the car to one event this season. I plan on putting together a video about how they did soon.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
It is important to realize, that while the GW bushings do offer very low friction performance, to get this, they require a lot of labor to install properly to get this. 4-5 hours if you have a hydraulic press near the car.

If one installs a coilover kit and tubular FCAs, you can remove all of the steering rack limiter clips for improved turning radius and the front suspension has much less friction for improved ride quality and grip. In addition, changing ride height, corner weight and spring rate becomes trivial.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I used to run GW bushings in stock arms and they worked well. I had GW install the bushings for me, because I heard they weren't easy to install. Those bushing moved the arm forward something like 3/8".

If these new Global West front control arms were available back in the day, I probably would have gone with them. I'm very surprised to see a new product for Mustangs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to run GW bushings in stock arms and they worked well. I had GW install the bushings for me, because I heard they weren't easy to install. Those bushing moved the arm forward something like 3/8".

If these new Global West front control arms were available back in the day, I probably would have gone with them. I'm very surprised to see a new product for Mustangs.
I've only heard good things about the bushings, but nobody seems to have any experience with the whole control arm, lol. I did send Doug @GW an email about wheel clearance using a 9"+ wide wheel. Got a response asking where the wheel touched the stock arm. I replied with a pic and have not received a response as of yet. At the moment, I have stock fox FCA's with Steeda ball joints and MM bushings. I'll probably stick with this setup if the GW arms don't work out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, just an update...or lack of one. I never got a response from Global West on whether or not I'd be able to run a 9" wide wheel with their control arms on my 90 fox. So Im gonna go with the BMR arms until the bushings rip, then replace with them with something more durable. I've read this will not take too long, haha. Going with 18x9 rpf1's and hopefully Toyo R888R 255/3518 all around. I've never tried Toyo tires before.. so, we'll see how she goes!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Lack of response doesn’t help with customer loyalty, that’s for sure. However, just asking about a 9” wide wheel probably isn’t enough information to get an accurate answer.

I suspect they’d need the wheel backspacing, offset specs, steering rack extension details, plus what spindle you plan to run.

Given you want an 18” rim, my guess is there will be clearance from contacting the arm at full lock on either arm.

After visually comparing the arms on each manufacturers website, the GW arms look stronger. Larger diameter tubing and a cross brace to make it a true A-arm. I don’t see the BMR appearing any narrower. Both contain a spring perch, so that likely limits their side dimensions.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lack of response doesn’t help with customer loyalty, that’s for sure. However, just asking about a 9” wide wheel probably isn’t enough information to get an accurate answer.

I suspect they’d need the wheel backspacing, offset specs, steering rack extension details, plus what spindle you plan to run.

I gave them all the info they asked for, lol. I even sent pictures! They did ask about wheel specs but not what spindle im using(94/95).

Given you want an 18” rim, my guess is there will be clearance from contacting the arm at full lock on either arm.

I run 17's at the moment and ya, they rub the arms at full lock. Main reason I was looking at tubular arms.

After visually comparing the arms on each manufacturers website, the GW arms look stronger. Larger diameter tubing and a cross brace to make it a true A-arm. I don’t see the BMR appearing any narrower. Both contain a spring perch, so that likely limits their side dimensions.

Pretty much what i saw, so you can see why I had questions about their width. I also was thinking about their length, they might be longer than stock fox fca's as well...

Anyway, good luck with your purchase and let us know how it works out.
Thanks! I'll post up pics when it gets done. Working on installing a Holley ecu first... should have pics of that on my build thread soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts