Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 89gt 347 stroker supercharged car will not hook up. It is a 5 speed with 3.73 gears. He has to launch in second gear or it spins out of control. What are some things he can do? Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
711 Posts
get some slicks

·
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a few things is get some adjustable contral arms will help u get the pinion angle, slicks, rear drag shocks and springs front and rear. the best thing would be just get slicks
Any particular brand or size tires that you would recommend? It is not tubbed.
Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
What is your son's car equipped with now? The guys are correct when they say sticky tires. You also want to make sure your car is transfering weight so don't forget proper shocks, struts and springs. Possibly removing your front swaybar.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most go either a 10 or 10.5 tire on a 15 inch wheel. For height people seem to go either 26 or 28. Height depends on what its doing down track. If you need more gear (say you have 373’s and wish you had 410’s) then go with the smaller tire, but if you are winding out and hit the redline before the end of the track, go with a larger tire. I’d also suggest a full slick, rather than a drag radial or any other “half-way” tire. Yes, people go fast on them, but they could always go faster on a slick.

How fast a car is this? For mild applications like mine I went with 90/10s and 4-cyl springs up front and 8 cyl springs in back (I run high 11s on motor and high 10s on spray). I also have a weird LCA setup with brackets that lower the mounting point and change the geometry. If its nuts, then obviously you need crazy stuff. What kind of MPH in the 1/4 or 1/8?

·
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To answer some questions:
It has the stock pony wheels.
He was running drag radials.
He ran 87 mph in the 1/8 leaving in 2nd gear.

I will pass all this info along to him.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Pick up some 15x8 Weld wheels, 26x10 Hoosier Slicks, and screw in valve stems. Launch at 4000 at 15 psi of tire pressure. Does the car have a stock 28 spline posi unit and axles? This would be a good time to upgrade to 31 spline internals if he plans on drag racing the car more than a couple times a year. The slicks will help the car hook, but like anything else, you need supporting parts to make a combination work.

I would suggest adjustable upper and lower control arms, removing the front sway bar, full length subframe connectors, and Strange 10-way shocks & struts for suspension tuning. As mentioned before, it is very important that the car weight transfers correctly.

Simply put, I think the car is overpowering the DR. What pressure was he running in them? Around 15 psi would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
with a blown 347 ideally 28's would get the power to the ground. However fitting a 28 on a gt is a no go unless he wants to cut up the ground kit.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
with a blown 347 ideally 28's would get the power to the ground. However fitting a 28 on a gt is a no go unless he wants to cut up the ground kit.
Or jack up the rear end with a rear coil over setup... with the extra rake, a mullet may be required as well. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts