Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made some more changes to the car. seemed to help out a ton. first pass off the trailer, picked up a tenth. Went #1 qualifier again. and made it to the finals!....

here we go. we could have bracket raced with it sat.

1st rd qual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQTdOMecB4

2nd rd qual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bI45zlWsI

1st rd elim. comp either broke or didn't make call? not sure which
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyTPwCJ6GCo

2nd rd elim. bye into finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep88SHGlWi4

finals, (same guys from last month that out ran us by .02<)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkjMqFKYkWo

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Congrats....limited 8.5 is a neat class at OHV. If I get my coupe more dialed in for 6.50 I may make it down to OHV for a race this season. You think about ever coming up to an OSM race at KilKare this year to run 8.5?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't think we have anything for your boy jim david who clicks off .30's at will!.... we'd give it a shot... the sunday thing kills it for us. about 5-6 hour drive for martin one way... and on a sunday is brutal! if i didn't 8.5 i would def 6.50!

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Ya....Jim's just playing with the class so far....just going fast as he needs to go to win. I understand about the drive.....it's about 2+hr drive for me to OHV each way....so getting home at 3-4am Sunday morning after a race at OHV isn't real appealing to me either.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Limited 8.5 class rules

Nitrous Power Adder Plate Type
Single Spray Bar Plate, Diffuser, Perimeter
.082 Conventional Head Small Block
.073 Conventional Head Big Block / Gen III SBC
.055 Non-Conventional Head Small Block / Big Block

Multiple Spray Bar Plate
.059 Conventional Head Small Block
.053 Conventional Head Big Block / Gen III SBC
.039 Non-Conventional Head Small Block / Big Block

Approved Plates

Any Single Spray Bar Plate
NOS Double Cross Plate (Approved P/N’s 02151 12565, 02152, 12665)
ZEX Perimeter Plate (Approved P/N’s 82043, 82040, 82048, 82072)
SpeedTech Diffuser Plate (Approved P/N’s 231-000, 231-010, 231-200,231-210)
NX Gemini Twin Spray Bar Plate (Approved P/N’s TBA)
MAX nitrous Supply Line from Bottle: -6AN
Additional nitrous systems must be removed from vehicle including all plumbing and wiring. Fogger nozzles can be left in manifold with caps.

Engine & Cylinder Heads
Single four barrel carburetor only
No Fuel Injection allowed OEM or Aftermarket
Single four barrel carburetor cast intake manifold only
No tunnel ram type intakes
No fabricated sheet metal intake manifolds allowed
No alcohol (gasoline only)

Conventional Cylinder Head Definition
Any commercially available cylinder heads that maintains the original production engine cylinder head valve angles (+/- 3 degrees) and port layout.

Non Conventional Cylinder Head Definition
Any commercially available cylinder head that does not meet the specification of the conventional cylinder head definition. (Examples: 18/15 deg SBC GM, 18/17/16/15 deg Dart SBC, 18,16,15,13 deg Brodix SBC, 14/12 deg Pro-Action SBC, SBF Brodix Neal, SBF Victor, SBF Victor Glidden, SB2, Splayed/Canted Valve GM, SBF Bennett Canted Valve Ford, Chrysler P7, Aftermarket LS1/LS6 Heads, SBF Yates, SBF Pro-Kings, SBF Man-o-War, Big Chiefs, Big Dukes, Predator BBChry, PB Series Brodix BBC, SBF SC1, SBF D3, Brodix BD 2000/1010 SBC, Brodix GB Series SBC, BBC Raptor, BBC Profiler) If your cylinder head is not listed in the above examples, you must call ahead for clarification.

Weight Breaks

Nitrous Assisted
· 3200 lbs. Small block with nitrous

· 3400 lbs. Big block with nitrous

. forced indution 76 mm turbo F1R YSI or smaller
. 3350 lbs small block conventional heads

. 3400 lbs small block NON conventional Heads

Naturally Aspirated
· 2800 lbs. Small block N/A with conventional heads

· 2950 lbs. Small block N/A with non-conventional cylinder heads

· 3100 lbs. Big block N/A with conventional cylinder heads

· 3200 lbs. Big block N/A with non-conventional or non-wedge heads

Transmissions

· Any OEM type automatic or manual transmissions allowed.
· Add 150 lbs for non-OEM manual clutchless transmissions (Examples: G-Force, Liberty, Jerico)

· Aftermarket heavy-duty cases allowed

Suspension

· Aftermarket front suspension components allowed (must bolt-on in stock locations) Factory frame rails required on front of vehicles in stock position.

· Front coilover shocks allowed on non strut vehicles as long as shock is mounted to lower A arm in stock location.

· Aftermarket stock type rear suspension allowed (must bolt-on in stock locations) Factory frame rails required on rear of vehicles in stock position. (Small Mini-Tubs OK)

· Rear coilover shocks allowed

. ladder bars OK

· Leaf springs may be moved in-board

· Relocation of rear shock allowed

· No wheelie bars, four links allowed

· Anti-sway bars allowed

Tire
Spec tire 26x8.5 tire ONLY

Vehicle
Must have full stock appearing interior with dash and two front seats (no metal visible-must be carpeted)
Stock firewall must be retained and in stock location
Notching of firewall for clearance of bell housing and distributor is acceptable
Rack and pinion steering allowed
Rear seat may be removed
Windows must be operational
Lightweight body components limited to hood, trunk lid, and bumpers
Hoods are required on vehicles. (In the event of a hood blow-off during competition the vehicle will be allowed to remain in competition for the remainder of event without a hood as long as minimum weight is met. Must be fixed prior to next event)
Must have mufflers

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Care to give some more specs on that car? What is the approximate horsepower ratings of those jet sizes you listed as being required by the rules?

I picked up a Dart block and will be building a dart based 427-440ci shortblock to go with my AFR 225 heads with exhaust work done. Might be doing some 8.5 racing down here next year if it sticks around, so just curious what its going to take to get down to the mid 5s.

If that car is running rear coil-overs, what is the spring rate on them?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jet is two to three hundred depending on who you ask.
it is a coil over but I don't remember the rate. we are going to move the springs back to stock location. too many other places don't allow them.
my guess is a man could go in the fives making seven fifty. probably take nine hundred up here to be competitive.
g
it's all about making the car work efficiently on that tiny tire.
hope this helps. anything else just shoot

·
Registered
711 Posts
using a progressive controller?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just saw you were in texas. there is an eight five class in texas somewhere with very open rules. you better take a couple of big foggers and have your stuff together! one cat has been fifties and they say he's sitting on it!

yeah we put a progressive on it while we were putting it together

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
just saw you were in texas. there is an eight five class in texas somewhere with very open rules. you better take a couple of big foggers and have your stuff together! one cat has been fifties and they say he's sitting on it!

yeah we put a progressive on it while we were putting it together
Yeah, the one I'm thinking of is from www.hotrodgossip.com, very open rules. Just weight rules and tire rule basically. They've only had 2 races I believe, but its the talk of the board. I think its original intention was to be something the local low budget guy could compete in, but its quickly growing into another True 10.5 type deal, as much as you can hook on that little tire. Yes, at least one of the guys has been in the .50s on the 26x8.5 tires, a couple in the .60s and several in the .70s.
\
I haven't gone that fast, but know if my current stock block could handle a 200 shot, I should be able to hit some .80s or a touch better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts