Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
make sure you test drive the hell out of the car before you buy it. Make sure it doesnt have the dreaded detonation or the severe transmission clunk & driveline lash.

Stephen

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i test drove it once didnt really drive it hard. I didnt notice any problems but havent ever drove a new mustang until couple days ago. what should i look for? I didnt notice any tranny clunks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The biggest problem with my car was the transmisson. First gear was REAL noisy and the shift from 1st to 2nd was always hit or miss and when it did go into second it vibrated really bad. First gear was really hard to engage too. There was also an exhaust leak on the drivers side exhaust manifold, vibration in the driveline at 68 to 75 mph, and lastly the drivers side front fender had a place about the size of a basketball that didn't have any clearcoat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so since the tranny was fine when i was driving it but i didnt get on it to much and didnt shift that hard so ill make sure to do that before i buy it for sure. its sonic blue and i love the color but ill check over it to make sure the paint is fine on it. for the manifold leak i was wanting to get headers for it but will that void my warrenty?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I BOUGHT 02 GT

I BOUGHT MY GT COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. I ALREADY ORDERED MAC COLD AIR AND STEEDA
PULLEYS.I READ ARTICLE IN MUSTANGS&FASTFORD( APRIL 2001). SAY NOT WORTH THE
HEADERS CUZ NOT SO MUCH IMPROVEMENT FOR THE MONEY...... WARRANTY DUNNO

·
Registered
113 Posts
warranty

only thing i believe would void the warranty is parts internally installed in the engine.
i would try asking your local performance shops

·
Registered
733 Posts
The only things that will void your warranty are those that the dealer says have voided your warranty when you take it in to be fixed, which ought to be about everything. Now, if you're ready to fight them...who knows.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well i happen to be friends with the guy that is in charge of the service department where im goin to get my car at. If its up to him then no problem. that will work good then

·
Registered
42 Posts
i paid 21,323 (with 1500 rebate) for my fully loaded 02..you should be able to get the same. If not, walk. Another dealer can get the car you want off that dealers lot if it is the only one around.

As for the transmission, the best way to check for the clunk/driveline lash is to downshift it at 25 mph from 4th to 2nd. If you feel a clunk right after the clutch engages you have found the problem.

Stephen

·
Registered
51 Posts
trolls56 said:
well i happen to be friends with the guy that is in charge of the service department where im goin to get my car at. If its up to him then no problem. that will work good then
So why don't you ask your good buddy?

Bring it in with a turbo, and they won't warranty anything in the drivetrain for sure...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i know. and i havent seen him for awhile. bout the turbo i was just messing around i know that would void it. more wondering bout the lil things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts