Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's I want to know what I need to go from 10.80 right now to a 9.99 as far as motor and turbo? The dyno results are in my sig. She should run a 10.60 with a little more tuning. Motor is bone stock. Can I build a budget motor to get me there? Like a 351w or 408w. I don't really want to spend over 4k. How much more power do you think it would take to run a 9.99?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Going 9's on a stock block 5.0 ain't gonna happen unless it is a freak strong block. Even a production 351 block is only good to 750 hp. If your car is light enough and you can put the power down it may get you there. Going to need better rods and pistons, arp hardware, and good heads.

Going 10.80 to 9.xx is a big step, and a lot more MPH. Make sure you look after any safety upgrades you need as well. Not worth getting hurt over.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I went 10.40 @132 with a stockish long block. Now using the same short block and a nice little h/c/I set up I plan on dipping in the 9s fairly easily. My car is light though. Will be 2700 w me now.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It can be done with a stock block, it has been done many times before. The block and crank won't like it, but if done correctly, it will live for a while. If you swap out the heads, cam, intake, with the correct parts and either more boost or a little bit larger turbo, you will be there. Many guys have gone well into the 9s with 70 mm turbos, I am guessing that is what you have, but I don't know how much power the On3 turbos are good for. I know it has been done with Master Power 70 mm turbos.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I will get the BW s475. What should I do about the 351w? What parts should I use? What heads? Rods and pistons? I want to save money where I can remember. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
BW S475 with the T6 1.32 a/r hot side will make plenty to go 9's....even 8's. I'd look for a used set of aluminum heads...2.02/1.60 valves..doesn't really matter which ones..tfs tw or highports,vic jr., afr 185's, pro comp, rhs's will all work. I'd use the stock crank with a decent forged H-beam rod and a decent piston like probes to help keep cost down. The ching chong china forged rods and even crank will work fine for your needs.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Id do 351 with forged pistons and decent rods. Stock crank. You'll get there easily and more reliably than a stock block (which would still get you there for awhile). Honestly heads arent super important. Just about any aluminim head will get you there. Get a used F cam and roll out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can get a friends 1997 351 with less then 100k on it. He has it in his truck and did a lightning swap. It runs really good. Should I just leave the bottom end and do HCI? Would that get me to like 600rwhp

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It can be done with a stock block, it has been done many times before. The block and crank won't like it, but if done correctly, it will live for a while. If you swap out the heads, cam, intake, with the correct parts and either more boost or a little bit larger turbo, you will be there. Many guys have gone well into the 9s with 70 mm turbos, I am guessing that is what you have, but I don't know how much power the On3 turbos are good for. I know it has been done with Master Power 70 mm turbos.
Not what I need to hear at this stage but it has been done. LOL
The 97 351 should live longer than a 302 block.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I'd look more at your suspension. Is it set up to go nines? Making power does no good if the suspension and gearing aren't right.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
We have a few of these little guys, t4 flanged 88's at the shop that would have no problem making the power to put the car in the 9's once you have a short block that will handle the power:

·
Registered
36 Posts
On 4k and make everything last? I don't see it. Is your current trans going to hold up or will you need to upgrade? How about your rear end? Suspension? Brakes? Fuel system? If you can do it I will gladly shake your hand and say I was wrong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts